Builders insurance

Whether you’re working alone, or leading a crew, benefit from the freedom of flexible, customisable insurance for your building business.

Builders insurance quote

per month

Do builders need insurance?

It goes without saying that working as a builder, or running a building business, comes with its fair share of occupational hazards! Our cover is designed to be flexible, that’s why it’s offered by pay-as-you-go monthly subscription. So, for example, if you have a particularly high risk project coming up, you can add cover temporarily - so that you only ever pay for the cover you need, when you need it.

  • Public liability insurance limits up to £5 million
  • £10 million employers liability cover as standard
  • Up to £10k cover for portable tools and equipment (maximum £1,000 per item)
  • Up to £50k cover for hired in plant

Get builders insurance in less than 10 minutes

Flexible monthly subscription. No fees to change or cancel your cover.

What insurance do I need for my building business?

Employers liability insurance

Employers liability insurance is a legal requirement for employers in the UK. If you hire any employees at all, including apprentices, part-time, or even temporary workers, you’ll need to make sure you’re covered and that you have a certificate to prove it. Foregoing employers liability insurance can result in a fine of up to £2,500 per day for each uninsured day.

Our employers liability cover offers a £10 million limit as standard. It also includes 50 days’ cover each year for temporary employees (who you needn’t register with us).

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance is a common cover for businesses that involve contact with members of the public, and is designed to cover any claims made against you for injury or property damage as a direct result of your work.

As an experienced tradesman, you could probably operate many of your tools and maybe even navigate a building site in the dark - no problem. But this certainly isn’t the case for a layman, for whom your tools and work area present a host of dangers! In fact, it’s considered so risky, that in some countries, public liability is mandatory for tradespeople. In the UK, it’s not actually a legal requirement, but you may find that some clients demand it and trade associations will also often require it as a prerequisite to membership.

Contract works cover

Sometimes, things go wrong. Contract works cover insures you for things beyond your control, like fire, theft, water damage and wind damage - and accidental mishaps that can delay the completion of a job. We offer this insurance as an optional extra, with limits of up to £500,000.

Tools insurance and equipment cover

Damage or breakage is inevitable when it comes to tools and equipment - and unfortunately, tools theft is a major issue in the UK.

We offer tool and equipment cover as an optional extra, providing up to:

  • £10,000 cover for portable tools and equipment (maximum value of £1,000 per item)
  • £25,000 cover for construction plant and machinery owned by you
  • £50,000 cover for hired in plant.

Just be sure to keep everything in a securely locked building or compound when not in use. We can also offer additional cover for tools stored in vehicles overnight.

Stock cover

It’s not all about the tools! You can’t get a job done without the right materials either. Our business stock covers materials such as wood, paint and tiles, up to £5,000. It’s important that your stock is securely stored at your business premises, or in securely locked conditions elsewhere - even when in transit.

Personal accident cover

Getting injured is more than physical discomfort when you’re performing manual work. An awkward or serious injury may render you unable to work for some time. Our personal accident cover can pay a cash benefit of up to £5,000 if this happens, to tide you over until you’re able to work again.

We've made insuring your business simple. Get started.

Builders insurance FAQs

What trades do you cover?

We can cover a wide range of trades. If you can’t see your trade as an option when you get a quote, please don’t hesitate to contact our customer success team via chat, email or phone - we may be able to offer you cover!

Will I be covered to work abroad?

Our cover gives you the freedom to work temporarily (up to 180 days) anywhere within the European Union, knowing you’re covered as per usual.

Do you cover tools stored in a vehicle overnight?

Our standard cover does not include this. It specifically excludes theft of tools and equipment from any vehicle left unattended between the hours of 9pm and 6am. However, we do offer the option to insure your tools stored securely in your van overnight, if the vehicle is parked in a locked compound, at an additional cost.

Do I need to tell you each time I get a new employee?

If you have employers liability insurance with us, it’s important that you let us know each time you gain or lose a permanent employee. For temporary workers, there’s no need to let us know - if they’re working with you for fewer than 50 days.

What will affect the cost of my insurance?

The cost of your cover will vary depending on the work you carry out. Jobs that could more easily cause harm to the public, or tools of high value, present more risk and a bigger payout in the event of a claim. This typically means the cost of your insurance will be higher than it would be to cover a lower work, or less valuable equipment.

What excess would I need to pay?

This will vary depending on the nature of your claim. For example, the excess on a public liability claim, or a tools claim, would be £250, while the excess on a hired-in plant claim would be £500. This is because plant tend to be more expensive to replace.

The only cover that is a legal requirement is employers liability insurance, for businesses with employees. However, you may want to consider insurance for other reasons, such as: your trade association may require it; your clients may require it; you may decide that the risk of a claim against you - or tools theft - is too high a price to pay, not to insure.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.