Business insurance made simple

We've partnered with Freelance Business to offer their clients our monthly business insurance - enjoy the first month free when you sign up!
In partnership with

Why Superscript?

Monthly subscription

Avoid a year-long commitment to locked-in terms. Pay monthly, change or cancel your cover anytime, for free!

No cookie-cutter cover

Pick and choose what you want to be covered for and only pay for the covers and limits your business needs.

Manage online, 24/7

Get covered in less than 10 minutes with our quote builder and manage your cover online in just a few clicks.

What insurance do freelancers need?

Professional indemnity insurance

Clients pay for your knowledge and expertise, but what if you make a mistake? This is what professional indemnity insurance is for. If your advice causes your client to lose money, you could face a lawsuit, with legal costs and compensation to pay. Superscript's professional indemnity cover comes with media liability cover as standard, which means you're also covered for accidental copyright infringement.

Public liability insurance

Whether you're working from a home office, a client's office or even out and about, public liability insurance provides protection for if you cause accidental injury or property damage to a member of the public while you're working.

Business contents insurance

Whatever kit you rely on, be it a laptop, filming or other technical equipment, having it lost, stolen or damaged could leave out with a deep hole in your pocket. Business contents insurance, gives you the ability to have your broken or stolen equipment fixed or replaced.

Legal protection insurance

Unlike large companies with in-house legal teams, self-employed professionals don't have the convenience of specialist legal support. Legal protection insurance gives you access to specialist commercial legal support, a lifeline if you ever face a legal dispute or have questions about tax issues, such as IR35.

Cyber insurance

A cover often dismissed as irrelevant to smaller businesses, cyber insurance may be relevant for you, if your work involves handling a large amount of data. It provides protection in the form of specialist support and compensation in the event of cyber breach.

Terms & Conditions

The one month free discount is available to any Freelance Business customer taking out a new business policy with Superscript; it will not be granted in conjunction with any other offer, voucher or discount, excluding unique referral codes from our Refer a friend programme which can be used in conjunction with the Freelance Business discount. The discount applies for one year only from the inception date of the initial policy. Subject to eligibility requirements.

Business insurance FAQs

Do I need business insurance?

There are two key reasons why you may need business insurance. Firstly, could you afford the cost of a large uninsured claim? Secondly, if you're working with other businesses, or clients, they'll often require it.

What does business insurance cover?

Business insurance provides a level of protection against the potential financial and reputational losses faced in the event of a claim. It's an umbrella term that covers a number of different types of insurance, all of which provide protection for different risks faced by businesses. These covers include public liability insurance, professional indemnity insurance and employers' liability insurance.

What business insurance do I need?

This depends on the risks your business faces. Common covers that the majority of businesses could benefit from include public liability insurance, professional indemnity insurance, employers' liability insurance, buildings insurance and business contents insurance. Other more specific covers, such as cyber insurance, directors' and officers' insurance and legal protection insurance are also popular choices.

How much is business insurance?

The cost of business insurance generally depends on a number of factors such as industry, turnover, number of employees, location.

Strictly speaking, employers' liability insurance is the only type of business insurance which is a legal requirement for businesses operating in any industry, with employees. Other covers are, however, required by certain professional and regulatory bodies.

Can I get business insurance before registering my business?

Yes, you can buy business insurance before registering your business.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at