Rent guarantee insurance Rent guarantee insurance

Add landlords' legal protection and rent guarantee cover to your landlords' insurance and we'll cover your expenses for recovering rental arrears, repossessing a property after an eviction and much more.

Be quote confident. We'll beat the price of any like-for-like quote. T&Cs apply.

Add rent guarantee insurance for £9.95 a month

Superscript's landlord legal protection and rent guarantee cover can be added to your residential landlord insurance policy for just £9.95 per property, per month.

What is landlords' rent guarantee insurance?

Landlords' legal protection and rent guarantee insurance (also known as rent protection cover) offers you enhanced protection to cover rental arrears and legal costs of up to £50,000 for a variety of scenarios, including:

  • Your tenant or ex-tenant stops paying their rent
  • You are in a contract dispute related to your property
  • Your rental income tax return is audited by HMRC
  • You are prosecuted in relation to letting out your property
  • You need to repossess your property
  • You need to evict squatters

Be quote confident

We're big on fairness. So if you find a lower price for a comparable quote, we won't just match it – we'll go one better and beat it.

So even better than apples to apples, apples to better apples. We're talking Galas to Braeburns.

As you'd expect, T&Cs apply.

What's included legal protection and rent guarantee cover?

Our rent protection cover includes more than just rental arrears. There's a whole host of useful covers included to protect you and your property, including cover for legal defense, contract disputes and more, up to a limit of £50,000 in each instance. Here are the core covers that are included in the policy:

Repossession cover

Covers the costs and expenses of re-obtaining possession of your property up to a maximum indemnity of £50,000.

Property damage when pursuing a civil dispute

Covers the costs of pursuing a civil case against your tenants (or ex-tenants) after damage occurred at your property.

Eviction of tenants/squatters

Covers the costs and expenses to evict anyone who is not your tenant or ex-tenant from your property and who does not have permission to be there.

Rent recovery

Covers your costs and expenses to recover rent owed to you by your tenant for the lease of your property in the event that they do not pay.

Rent arrears / rent guarantee

Covers rent arrears while your tenant or ex-tenant still occupies your property up to a maximum of 12 months or £50,000.

Covers the costs of defending your legal rights if an event arising from letting your property leads to you being prosecuted in a criminal court.

Tax protection cover

Covers your costs and expenses in the event of a comprehensive examination of your self-assessment tax return by HM Revenue & Customs.

Contract disputes cover

Covers your costs and expenses for a contract dispute over an agreement you have entered into for buying or hiring any goods or services in relation to your property.

Once you've completed a quote, you'll be able to view a summary of cover. Please always refer to your policy documents for full details around exclusions, terms and limits of your customised cover. Read our guide to understanding your policy documents.

Add rent guarantee to your residential landlord insurance

Cover that is specifically designed for private landlords with either one home, or a portfolio of residential properties with tenants in occupation (up to 10 properties).

Rent guarantee cover T&Cs

As with all policies, there are certain T&Cs attached to our landlords' legal protection and rent guarantee cover and we think it's best to be transparent so that you can see and understand the limitations and exclusions before deciding whether to purchase your policy.

Find out the key difference between rent guarantee insurance and guaranteed rent schemes.

  • If the tenancy agreement started before your insurance, your policy won’t cover disagreements in the first 90 days (unless you already had an equivalent policy immediately before the start date of this one)
  • You must obtain references for each tenant (and guarantor) from a referencing service before the tenancy starts, including:

    • A previous managing agent or landlord
    • An employer (or any other financial source)
    • A credit-history check
    • A detailed inventory of the contents and condition of your property
  • For civil cases, the prospects that you will recover losses or damages, or make a successful defence, must be at least 51%
  • Contract disputes involving any investment or borrowing, your tenancy agreement or construction work/designing/converting/extending (valued over £5,000) are excluded

How do insurance claims work?


You make a claim

Log in to your online account and go to the ‘Make a claim’ section. There, you can make a claim directly – there's no need to call us.

We'll ask you for some details about your claim, including a crime reference number (if applicable), the date of loss, type of claim and its detailed description.

You can also attach any relevant supporting documentation like proof of loss or proof of purchase.


We'll get on the case

Once submitted, your claim will be assessed.

If the claim is large, we may need more information from you. Or, if it's small, our team may be able to settle it within a couple of days (or hours, in some cases).

Either way, we'll keep you regularly updated and you'll be able to see the status of your claim on our customer portal.


Your claim is settled

After it's been assessed, we'll let you know if your claim has been successful or not.

If items have been lost, stolen or damaged, we might arrange for the items to be replaced or make a payment to you.

Download your free landlords' guide

It's quick, instant and unlocks 42 pages of valuable advice for new and aspiring landlords.

From time to time we'll send you original content, offers and updates from Superscript. You can unsubscribe whenever you want. Superscript's privacy notice.

Landlords' rent protection insurance FAQs

Can I get rent guarantee insurance for commercial properties?

Superscript's rent guarantee and legal expenses insurance is limited to landlords with one or more residential properties and is not available to commercial landlords.

Superscript's rent guarantee and legal expenses insurance costs £9.95 a month, per property, including Insurance Premium Tax (IPT).

Do I have to get landlord rent guarantee insurance?

Rent guarantee insurance is not complusory and is an optional additional cover as part of your residential landlord insurance. Without rent guarantee and legal expenses insurance, however, you will not be covered for:

  • Legal expenses for re-obtaining possession of your property and evicting tenants or pursuing civil action against a tenant for damage to your property
  • Rental arrears that you are due with a tenant or ex-tenant still occupying your property but not paying rent
  • Costs associated with your self-assessment tax return being audited by HMRC
  • Costs associated with settling a contract dispute
  • Mounting a legal defense if an event arising from letting your property leads to you being prosecuted in a criminal court

Under our standard residential landlord insurance, you can claim up to £15,000 to cover the expenses of evicting squatters from your property, however with rent guarantee insurance, that limit increases to £50,000.

What's the difference between rent guarantee insurance and rental income cover?

Superscript offers two optional covers called 'rental income cover' and 'rent guarantee insurance' as part of our residential landlords insurance product.

Rental income can pay you the income you would have received in rent if your property is damaged and becomes uninhabitable by a tenant for up to 24 months.

Rent guarantee, meanwhile, pays you the rent you are due in the event that your tenant or ex-tenant still occupies your property but does not pay their rent.

Yes, if you are insuring multiple properties in one policy and choose to add landlords' legal protection and rent guarantee insurance to your policy, then it will apply to all the properties in your portfolio.

You are not able to choose to add this additional cover to some, but not all, of your properties.

What if I need to make changes to my policy?

You can add or remove covers and make adjustments to the limits within your policy at any time. Simply get in touch with our friendly UK-based customer service team who will be happy to help you.

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at