Tools insurance Tools insurance

As a tradesperson, you rely on your tools to complete jobs to the highest standard. Protect your hammers, saws, drills and everything else in your kit from damage or theft.

Be quote confident. We'll beat the price of any like-for-like quote. T&Cs apply.

Not sure where to start?

Find out what covers businesses like yours choose

Find your cover

Tools insurance quote

per month

What does tools insurance cover?

From everyday essentials like hammers and saws, to power tools and expensive specialist equipment, all the tools you need to perform your trade needs to be protected.

Our specialist insurance for the tools of your trade gives you peace of mind, knowing that the equipment you rely on is covered.

10% of tradespeople paid £3.01 a month or less for their standalone portable hand tools cover between January and March 2023.

  • Tools-only insurance with no obligation for further cover
  • Protects against damage, loss or theft of your tools
  • Upgrade to cover tools left overnight in a van
  • Instant policy documents
  • Adjust your policy any time, without fees
  • UK-based support, hassle-free claims

Be quote confident

We're big on fairness. So if you find a lower price for a comparable quote, we won't just match it — we'll go one better and beat it.

So even better than apples to apples, apples to better apples. We're talking Galas to Braeburns.

As you'd expect, T&Cs apply.

Why would I need tools cover?


To quickly repair or replace your tools

In many trades, any downtime without your specialist tools can have a knock-on effect on your ability to do business. Standalone tools cover can quickly repair or replace tools that are broken, misplaced or stolen so you can get on with the job at hand.


To protect your vital equipment against theft

Unfortunately, criminals know that specialist trade tools often carry significant value and target tradespeople's vans and worksites to steal equipment. Tools cover can guard against losses sustained when your equipment is targeted by thieves.


To avoid having to take out unwanted additional insurance

Some insurers only offer tools cover as part of a tradesperson's insurance product. Superscript's tools cover is standalone, meaning you aren't tied to taking out additional cover you don't want or need.


To leave your tools in a van overnight

As an optional extra, you can add overnight protection to your tools insurance, which covers the replacement of your tools if they're stolen — providing they've been secured and locked in your van.

What is covered by tools insurance?


Whether it's when you're using the tool yourself, or if a member of the public accidentally breaks it, if your essential tools are damaged, it can cause delays in your work schedule, as well as maybe financial implications. Tools-only insurance is designed to cover you for accidental or malicious damage to your collection of tools, including through flooding and fire, at home or on the job. The maximum limit for any one item covered is £1,000, and you’ll pay an excess of £250.


Realising a vital tool is missing as you begin a new job is not only frustrating, but it can also cost you time and money by causing delays. If you, or a third-party, have irretrievably misplaced one of your tools, then your policy could cover the cost of replacing the missing item. Unfortunately, we can’t cover your tools if they’ve been confiscated, damaged by pests or vermin, or damaged by natural wear and tear or have faulty design.


However you store your tools, the possibility of theft is always apparent, especially on higher-value items such as complex power tools. If you are the victim of a crime in which your tools are stolen, your policy can cover the cost of replacing them. Take a look at our FAQs to see details on how your tools have to be stored to remain covered by this policy.

Injury to yourself, an employee or a member of the public

If you're interested in more than tools-only protection, check out our cover for trades people.

Once you've completed a quote, you'll be able to view a summary of cover. Please always refer to your policy documents for full details around exclusions, terms and limits of your customised cover. Read our guide to understanding your policy documents.

We offer tools-only insurance to nearly 100 trades

From gas fitters to window cleaners, paving contractors to heating engineers, we offer tools-only insurance — with no obligation to take out other insurance products — to a wide range of tradespeople.

While the majority of tradespeople could benefit from tools insurance, here are a few examples of the trades we insure:

To check if we can offer tools-only cover for your trade, simply click 'Start your quote'.

How do claims work?


You make a claim

Log in to your online account and go to the ‘Make a claim’ section. There, you can make a claim directly — there's no need to call us.

We'll ask you for some details about your claim, including a crime reference number (if applicable), the date of loss, type of claim and its detailed description. We will also ask you for proof of purchase.

You can also attach any relevant supporting documentation like proof of loss or proof of purchase.


We'll get on the case

Once submitted, your claim will be assessed.

If the claim is large, you may have to provide further information. For smaller claims, you may be able to proceed without further information.

Either way, we'll keep you regularly updated and you'll be able to see the status of your claim on our customer portal.


Your claim is settled

After it's been assessed, we'll let you know if your claim has been successful or not.

If items have been lost, stolen or damaged, we might arrange for the items to be replaced or make a payment to you.

Tools insurance claims

There are many different situations or events that could lead to a claim under your tools insurance policy. Here are a few examples of potential claim scenarios:

Stolen power tools

A thief steals your power tools from a work site while you are on a job. Provided you have taken reasonable steps to secure your tools, you can claim for the cost of replacing them.

Lost equipment

As an electrician, your volt meter is lost on a job site and you are unable to continue performing electrical safety tests. Your tools insurance policy can cover the cost of replacing this lost essential item as long as you can prove ownership and business use.

Damaged work tool

A laser level used in a construction job is damaged by water and no longer works. Your policy can cover accidental damage and cover the cost of replacing it.

Tools insurance FAQs

Are any tools not covered by my policy?

Superscript's standalone tools insurance covers all kinds of tools used in nearly 100 trades. The maximum limit for any one item covered is £1,000.

Do I have to keep my tools securely locked away?

Yes. To be covered against theft all tools covered by the policy must be secured in a:

  • locked building
  • cabinet
  • drawer
  • room
  • trailer or vehicle

Alternatively, they can be attached to a desk or fixed object by a suitable locking device and access must be gained by forcible and violent means.

When not locked away, the item must be being carried by you or your partners, principals, directors or employees, or within their line of sight.

Are my tools covered if left in a van overnight?

You can choose to cover your tools for overnight van storage for a small additional premium, provided the van is securely locked.

How much does tools insurance cost?

Portable hand tools insurance from Superscript starts at £3.01 per month — but this will vary according to the cover your trade needs.

10% of tradespeople paid £3.01 a month or less for their standalone portable hand tools cover between January and March 2023.

Do I need any licenses to insure my tools?

We don’t ask for proof of any licenses or qualifications to use tools when you purchase standalone tools insurance with us.

What is the excess on this policy?

The excess for this policy is £250.

Will my insurance replace my tools with brand new ones?

For tools which are lost, stolen or destroyed and which cannot be recovered or found, we will cover you for an amount equal to the replacement value of the tool at the date of the loss, subject to a suitable deduction for wear and tear.

For tools that are damaged in any other way, we'll cover you for a sufficient amount to repair the damaged tool(s) or replace or reinstate the damaged item(s) or the parts that have been damaged.

Do I need any other insurance to qualify for tools cover?

While tools cover is often included in tradespersons' insurance, the beauty of our tools-only insurance is that you can cover your collection of tools without being obligated to take out any other insurance products.

Will my tools insurance payout include VAT?

If your business is entitled to claim VAT on the replacement item then the claim will be settled excluding VAT.

Where are my tools covered?

The policy covers tools belonging to, borrowed or leased by you or your employees, which are used for your business anywhere within:

  • Great Britain
  • Northern Ireland
  • The Channel Islands
  • The Isle of Man
  • Temporarily anywhere in the world

Why choose Superscript?

Cover for over 1,000 types of business

Five-star customer service and claims support

Flexibility to adjust your policy without fees

Check out our latest posts

Individual cover purchased online is offered on a standardised, non-advised basis and is not bespoke. Terms, conditions and coverage limits are predetermined by the Underwriter. If you require bespoke coverage offered on an advised basis, please contact our in-house broking team.

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at