Underwritten by

Personalised cover underwritten by one of the UK's leading insurers

Portfolio insurance for landlords Portfolio insurance for landlords

Cover for investor landlords with diverse portfolios, including commercial, residential and combined properties, with a multi-property discount of up to 17.5%

Be quote confident. We'll beat the price of any like-for-like quote. T&Cs apply.

Mixed portfolio landlord insurance quote

per month

What is landlord insurance?

Landlord insurance provides a vital layer of protection for any investor in rental properties, whether your portfolio covers commercial premises, residential homes or a mixture of both.

To make sure you're covered for the risks most associated with your needs as a landlord, you might want to consider insurance that you can alter to your requirements. That's why at Superscript we offer customisable cover, which allows you to tailor your protection and only pay for what you need.

10% of landlords paid £12.95 a month or less for their Superscript insurance between January and March 2023.

  • Protect your portfolio of up to 10 properties
  • Buildings, fixtures and fittings and property owner's liability cover
  • Optional cover for rental income, employers' liability and more
  • Discounts for multiple premises
  • Choose from monthly or annual payments
  • Adjust your policy any time, without fees

Be quote confident

We're big on fairness. So if you find a lower price for a comparable quote, we won't just match it – we'll go one better and beat it.

So even better than apples to apples, apples to better apples. We're talking Galas to Braeburns.

As you'd expect, T&Cs apply.

We insure a large variety of property types

From renting out a string of retail units with flats above them to letting a selection of apartments with a shop unit on the ground floor, whatever mix of properties make up your portfolio, we've got you covered.

Here are a few popular rentals we cover:

  • Shops
  • Warehouses
  • Office space
  • Mixed commercial and residential buildings
  • Apartments
  • Houses
  • Studio flats

To check if we cover your needs as a portfolio landlord, simply click 'Start your quote'.

What does mixed portfolio landlord insurance cover?

While every portfolio is different, there are some covers that make sense for a lot of landlords in the property investment business. Here are the core covers that we include in every policy:



This element of your landlord insurance covers the cost of repairing accidental or malicious damage to the building, including:

  • Clearing, cleaning or repairing drains, gutters or sewers following damage to the property
  • Damage to cables and underground pipes
  • Fire and flood damage
  • Repairing any tank or pipe caused by a water leak
  • Damage caused by subsidence is an optional additional cover

Fixtures and fittings

You may be responsible for maintaining the fixtures and fittings within the properties that make up your portfolio. You will be covered for repair or replacement costs of fixtures and fitting within the property, including:

  • Breakage of fixed glass and fixed mirrors
  • Damage caused by the illegal cultivation of drugs
  • Theft of the building's fabric (eg. roof tiles or insulation)
  • Damage to electrical sockets or light fittings

Property owners liability

Covers your liability to pay compensation and legal costs (between £1 million and £10 million) in relation to bodily injury to either a tenant or member of the public, which is especially important for commercial units where members of the public come in and out regularly.

This includes legal costs (up to £1 million) for any alleged breaches of:

  • Health and Safety legislation
  • Consumer Protection legislation
  • Food Standards legislation

It also includes legal costs (up to £1 million) in connection to defense against:

  • Manslaughter
  • Corporate manslaughter
  • Corporate homicide
  • Culpable homicide defence

Additional covers

On top of these options, we also offer a bunch of other covers to boost your policy and give you and your portfolio of commercial and residential properties the perfect protection.

Employers' liability

A legal requirement for most landlords that employ staff to support their portfolio (such as administrators and janitors), this covers your liability to pay compensation and legal costs in relation to work-related sickness or bodily injury of an employee.


Covers the repair costs if one or more of your properties is damaged, plus your financial losses and your property owners liability in the event that any property in your portfolio is affected by an act of terrorism.

Rental income

If any of the properties in your portfolio become damaged to the point that they are uninhabitable by your tenants or businesses, the rent you would have been paid is covered for a period of up to 24 months while the property cannot be occupied.

Landlords contents

Covers the value of all of the items in your residential homes or commercial units that belong to the landlord (such as upholstery and furniture) against accidental and malicious damage, up to a limit of £75,000.

What isn't covered by landlords' insurance?

We'd love to be able to cover every situation a landlord might encounter but, as with all insurance policies, there are some things we cannot cover, including:

  • Any property that is let out to a local authority with an unknown occupant
  • Commercial properties used for heavy industry, including agricultural merchants, cement manufacturers, locomotive manufacturers and chemical producers
  • Mansion blocks or the flats contained within them
  • Properties that are unoccupied for more than six months of the year
  • HMOs with more than five tenancy agreements or any tenancy agreements of less than 180 days
  • Any damage which results from acts of fraud or dishonesty by you or your employees
  • Any costs associated with damage caused by the property being used for illegal activities, other than damage caused by the illegal cultivation of drugs
  • Any liability arising from exposure to, or the presence of, asbestos
  • Any works of art valued at greater than £1,000 or any jewellery, watches, fur or precious metal or stone under landlord's contents cover

Once you've completed a quote, you'll be able to view a summary of cover. Please always refer to your policy documents for full details around exclusions, terms and limits of your customised cover. Read our guide to understanding your policy documents.

Examples of claims made by landlords with mixed portfolios

Superscript's landlord insurance can cover a range of different accidents and risks in relation to your properties. Here are a few examples of possible claims scenarios.

Damage to your building

After a fire breaks out at a shop unit you let out, the property is damaged to a significant degree with extensive repairs required. A landlord insurance policy can cover the cost of repairing the building.

Lost rental income

After a flood, a flat of yours is damaged to the point that it is uninhabitable by your tenants. Your insurance policy would cover the loss of rental income you would have been paid for up to 24 months, while repairs are carried out.

Injury to a tenant

The owner of a business that rents one of your commercial units is injured because an element of the buildings' fixtures and fittings is unsafe. You may be liable to pay compensation and legal costs and your insurance could cover this expense.

How do claims work?


You make a claim

Log in to your online account and go to the ‘Make a claim’ section. There, you can make a claim directly – there's no need to call us.

We'll ask you for some details about your claim, including a crime reference number (if applicable), the date of loss or claim made against you, type of claim and its detailed description.

You can also attach any relevant supporting documentation like proof of loss, proof of purchase, a letter of demand or a statement of claim.


We'll get on the case

Once submitted, your claim will be assessed.

If the claim is large, you may have to provide further information. For smaller claims, you may be able to proceed without further information.

Either way, we'll keep you regularly updated and you'll be able to see the status of your claim on our customer portal.


Your claim is settled

After it's been assessed, we'll let you know if your claim has been successful or not.

If items have been lost, stolen or damaged, we might arrange for the items to be replaced or make a payment to you.

If you’re liable for something we will assist you with legal support.

Mixed portfolio insurance FAQs

How much does landlord insurance cost for a mixed portfolio?

Superscript's landlord insurance starts from just £12.95 a month, but the price of your policy could vary depending on how many properties are covered, their location, their age, the type of business that operates from the premises, the jobs your residential tenants do and a number of other factors.

10% of landlords paid £12.95 a month or less for their Superscript insurance between January and March 2023.

What types of property does landlord insurance cover?

We are able to insure a mixture of commercial and residential properties in the same policy. You can get cover for commercial premises including:

  • warehouses
  • office space
  • shops

As well as for residential properties including:

  • studio apartments
  • flats
  • houses

How many properties can I insure on one policy?

With Superscript's landlord insurance, you can insure a mixture of commercial and residential addresses in a portfolio of up to 10 properties in one policy.

What excess will I pay?

The amount of excess you will be required to pay depends on what kind of insured event has occurred. Superscript's excesses include:

  • Fire, lightning, explosion, aircraft, or earthquake - no excess
  • Damage caused by flood - minimum excess £300
  • Malicious damage and theft by a tenant business - £500
  • All other insured damage (where an excess applies) - minimum excess £250
  • Subsidence - minimum excess £1,000
  • Property owners liability - £200

Can I insure residential homes at the same time as my commercial units?

Yes, you can insure both commercial and residential properties on the same policy. For instance, if you own a retail unit with a separate residential flat on the upper floor.

Can I get landlord insurance if my property is temporarily unoccupied?

Yes, with Superscript's landlord insurance your cover is valid even if your property is unoccupied for a period of up to 45 consecutive days.

However, if the property is unoccupied for longer than that, there are certain things you must do for your policy to remain valid, including, but not limited to:

  • You must let Superscript know as soon as the property becomes unoccupied for longer than 45 days
  • The property must be inspected both internally and externally at least once a week, with a written report of the inspection
  • All refuse and waste must be regularly removed
  • The property must be adequately secured and letterboxes sealed
  • Gas, water and electricity supplies must be turned off at the mains
  • All damage must be rectified immediately
  • All water systems must be drained between 1st October and 31st March

Superscript reserves the right to cancel a policy if your property is unoccupied for more than 45 consecutive days.

Is there a discount for insuring multiple properties?

Yes. You can enjoy a discount of up to 5% on landlord insurance for the commercial properties in your portfolio, and up to 17.5% on your residential properties, depending on how many addresses you add to your policy.

What if I need to change or cancel my policy?

You can change your policy anytime, without paying admin fees. But we need 30 days' notice if you'd like cancel.

Is landlord insurance tax deductible?

Yes, all covers included in your landlord insurance policy (for both commercial and residential properties) are categorised as 'allowable expenses' by HMRC. This means you can write off the cost of your insurance policy against your taxable rental income for the tax year.

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at www.fca.org.uk or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at www.fscs.org.uk.