Insurance for contractors and freelancers

Build bespoke protection

per month

What insurance do contractors and freelancers need?

Depending on the type of work you carry out, as a freelancer, you'll likely want to consider a selection of covers, such as public liability and professional indemnity. As a freelancer, you may benefit from the flexibility offered by cover with Superscript. Our monthly subscription model gives you the freedom to adjust cover to meet your requirements, so that you only pay for what you need.

  • Pay by the month
  • Change your cover anytime
  • Make changes without fees
  • Instant documents

Get a freelancer insurance quote in less than 10 minutes

Adapt or cancel your cover at any time. No penalties.

Why do I need insurance, as a freelancer?

Mistakes in the services you provide

Clients pay for your knowledge and expertise, but what if you make a mistake? If your advice doesn't work out as expected, you could face a lawsuit, with legal costs and compensation to pay. If that happens, professional indemnity cover (PI) will ensure you're protected. Plus, clients may insist you have it – so it could help you win assignments (or not lose them!)

Cyber and data threats

If you work remotely and handle a lot of client data then you could be at risk of a cyber-attack or data breach. Cyber insurance for freelancers will protect you for a breach of data protection laws (where insurable by law) and your liability for handling data, as well as cover for extortion, system rectification costs, plus PR expenses and financial loss due to system downtime.

Moments of clumsiness

Our public liability insurance for freelancers will protect you if you cause injury or property damage to a third party, either at your home office, co-working space, at a client's office, or when out and about. It's also worth bearing in mind that some of your clients, or even suppliers, might ask you to have PL, so make sure your minimum cover limit meets their requirements as well as your own.

Tools of the trade

Whatever kit you rely on, whether that's a laptop, filming equipment or more technical machinery, having it lost, stolen or damaged will leave you high and dry. With our freelance contents insurance and equipment cover, we'll replace your gear and have you back up and running in no time. And unlike with many providers, being based in a co-working space is no problem.

We've made insuring your business simple. Get started.

Contractors and freelancers insurance FAQs

Do freelancers need public liability insurance?

Although public liability cover isn’t a legal requirement for freelancers, it’s considered a basic cover by most. Moreover, depending on the type of work you carry out, clients may sometimes insist on you having this type of cover.

As a freelancer, do I need employers’ liability insurance?

If you’re self-employed and work alone you most likely won’t need employers’ liability cover. Similarly, if you’re hiring a freelancer in the UK, you won’t need to cover them through employers’ liability insurance, as a freelancer isn’t an ‘employee’, by definition.

Customise your cover

To simplify things, we've categorised our covers into three groups: essential covers, professional covers, and management covers. You'll be guided through these different options during the quotation process.

Essential covers

per month

Essential for all businesses needing protection against bodily injury and lost or damaged property.

Select from:

Professional covers

per month

Protect against risks associated with the professional services you provide and the way you market your business.

Select from:

Management covers

per month

Protect your management and shareholders against the operational risks associated with running a company.

Select from:

Boost your cover from £10.08 per month

Commercial legal protection

Covers compensation awards, professional fees and legal costs associated with a range of legal disputes.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.