Electricians insurance Electricians insurance

Though insuring your tools and equipment against loss or damage is a sparky standard, you can add other covers like public liability to cover the fallout of a rare wiring mishap.

Be quote confident. We'll beat the price of any like-for-like quote. T&Cs apply.

Not sure where to start?

Find out what covers businesses like yours choose

Find your cover

Electricians insurance quote

per month

Why do electricians need business insurance?

You're probably well aware of the risks that come with being an electrician. Business insurance for electricians makes sure you're covered for these risks, including accidental injury to your clients or members of the public, mistakes in your work and the cost of damage.

With insurance for electricians, you can protect your business, your tools and your employees (if you have any) for when the unexpected happens.

10% of electricians paid £6.25 a month or less for their Superscript business insurance between July and September 2022.

At Superscript, our business insurance for electricians can include:

  • Public liability insurance limits up to £5 million
  • Up to £10k cover for tools and equipment (max. £1,000 per item)
  • £10 million employers' liability cover as standard
  • Up to £500k worth of contract works cover
  • Instant access to your documents
  • No fees to change or cancel cover

Be quote confident

We're big on fairness. So if you find a lower price for a comparable quote, we won't just match it – we'll go one better and beat it.

So even better than apples to apples, apples to better apples. We're talking Galas to Braeburns.

As you'd expect, T&Cs apply.

What insurance do electricians need?

Start with public liability insurance (and get just that), or customise your policy to cover additional risks.

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance is for any business that involves contact with members of the public. It's designed to cover claims made against you for injury or property damage as a direct result of your work. We can cover work that takes place more than 10 metres below ground and both single phase and three phase electrical work.

Our public liability insurance for electricians gives you the option of picking £1 million, £2 million or £5 million cover.

Employers' liability insurance

Employers' liability insurance is a legal requirement for employers in the UK. If you hire any employees at all, including apprentices, part-time, or even temporary workers, you’ll need to make sure you’re covered and that you have an employers' liability insurance certificate to prove it. Not having it can result in a fine of up to £2,500 per day for each uninsured day.

Our employers' liability cover offers a £10 million limit as standard. It also includes 50 days’ cover for temporary employees, who do not need to be registered with us, each year.

Tools and equipment insurance

A misplaced spanner is one thing, but damaged, lost or stolen specialist equipment is expensive and can be difficult to replace. And tool theft is no joke - it’s one of the biggest concerns for tradesmen in the UK.

Tools and equipment cover is an optional extra with us, but if you did add it to your policy you'd be protected for:

  • Portable tools and equipment (maximum value of £1,000 per item), up to £10,000 cover
  • Construction plant and machinery owned by you, up to £25,000 cover
  • Hired-in plant insurance, up to £50,000 cover

We'd recommend that when you're not using your equipment to lock it up securely to minimise the risks. And if you're often on the road, we can also offer cover to protect your tools while they're in a vehicle overnight.

Personal accident cover

Unfortunately, accidents happen. Personal accident cover is a popular choice for electricians, as it pays a benefit if you or someone working for you suffers an accident resulting in loss of sight, hearing, speech, a limb, death or permanently disabled and unable to work.

Stock cover

To do any job properly, you need the right materials. Stock cover offers up to £5,000 worth of protection for the materials you need to do your work against theft and damage.

It’s important that your stock is securely stored at your business premises, or in securely locked conditions elsewhere - even when in transit.

Contract works

This type of cover is perfect for those who do project-based contract work. It insures you for things beyond your control, like fire, theft, water damage and wind damage - and accidental mishaps that can delay the completion of a job. We offer this insurance as an optional extra, with limits of up to £500,000.

Once you've completed a quote, you'll be able to view a summary of cover. Please always refer to your policy documents for full details around exclusions, terms and limits of your customised cover.

Just need to insure your tools and equipment?

At Superscript, we offer special cover for just the tools and equipment of your trade. You won't be tied into taking out any other covers in your policy so you only pay for what you need.

As an electrician, you can get simple, flexible cover for vital tools and items of business equipment such as:

  • Voltage indicator
  • Insulated pliers and screwdrivers
  • Digital circuit breaker finder
  • Stud finder
  • Work bench
  • Laptop and phone

Read more about our tools-only cover.

Electrician claims

Business insurance claims are different for every electrician out there, but here are a few examples of common claims in this field.

A faulty wire

Some wiring work you completed is faulty and causes a small fire in your client's house. Public liability insurance would cover the legal and compensation costs associated with this property damage claim.

Stolen tools

While completing some work outdoors near a public pavement, you turn around for a few minutes to find that your expensive drill and some other equipment has been robbed. Your tools insurance would cover the cost of replacing them.

Water damage

While working on a construction site, a mains water pipe bursts, causing water damage to the many of the surrounding materials and major project setbacks. Contract works insurance would cover the cost to replace the damaged materials up to a limit of £500,000.

Improper training

An apprentice experiences an electric shock while rewiring and claims that they weren't trained properly. Employers' liability insurance would cover the cost of legal and compensation fees associated with the claim.

How do claims work?


You make a claim

Log in to your online account and go to the ‘Make a claim’ section. There, you can make a claim directly – there's no need to call us.

We'll ask you for some details about your claim, including a crime reference number (if applicable), the date of loss, type of claim and its detailed description.

You can also attach any relevant supporting documentation like proof of loss or proof of purchase.


We'll get on the case

Once submitted, your claim will be assessed.

If the claim is large, we may need more information from you. Or, if it's small, our team may be able to settle it within a couple of days (or hours, in some cases).

Either way, we'll keep you regularly updated and you'll be able to see the status of your claim on our customer portal.


Your claim is settled

After it's been assessed, we'll let you know if your claim has been successful or not.

If items have been lost, stolen or damaged, we might arrange for the items to be replaced or make a payment to you.

Electrician insurance FAQs

Can you cover multiple trades under the same policy?

Yes - we can cover multiple trades under one policy. If, for example, you're also carrying out building work, we may be able to cover this too. You'll be able to add multiple business activities to your quote as part of our 10-minute quotation process.

Will I be covered to work abroad?

Our cover gives you the freedom to work temporarily (up to 180 days) anywhere within the European Union, knowing you’re covered as per usual.

Do you cover tools stored in a vehicle overnight?

Our standard cover does not include this. It specifically excludes theft of tools and equipment from any vehicle left unattended between the hours of 9pm and 6am. However, we do offer the option to insure your tools stored securely in your van overnight, if the vehicle is parked in a locked compound, at an additional cost.

Do I need to tell you each time I get a new employee?

If you have employers' liability insurance with us, you will need to let us know each time you get a new permanent employee. For temporary workers, however, we’ll automatically cover you for up to 50 days in any one period of insurance.

What will affect the cost of my insurance?

The cost of your cover will vary depending on the work you carry out. Jobs that could more easily cause harm to the public, or tools of high value, present more risk and a bigger payout in the event of a claim. This typically means the cost of your insurance will be higher than it would be to cover a lower work, or less valuable equipment.

What excess would I need to pay?

This will vary depending on the nature of your claim. For example, the excess on a public liability claim, or a tools claim, would be £250, while the excess on a hired-in plant claim would be £500. This is because plant tend to be more expensive to replace.

The only cover that is a legal requirement is employers' liability insurance, for businesses with employees. However, you may want to consider insurance for other reasons, such as: your trade association may require it; your clients may require it; you may decide that the risk of a claim against you - or tools theft - is too high a price to pay, not to insure.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at www.fca.org.uk or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at www.fscs.org.uk.