In partnership with

Customisable cover for Countingup members.

Business insurance Business insurance

Pick the covers you need, leave the ones you don’t
Adjust your policy any time, with no admin fees
Hassle-free claims and UK-based customer support

Covers for small businesses

Public liability

May cover compensation and legal costs if you accidentally cause an injury to a client or any third party – or damage their property in the course of your work.

Employers' liability

A legal requirement in the UK for most businesses with employees, whether full or part time. Note that this also includes apprentices.

Business equipment

Designed to cover accidental damage, loss and theft of equipment belonging to you or your employees.

Professional indemnity

Designed to cover your liability for professional mistakes or problems with your work which result in a claim against you.

Cyber insurance

This concerns your liability for processing data and costs associated with a data breach or security failure. For example, breach of client confidentiality or privacy.

Directors' and Officers' insurance

For personal claims against those with management responsibilities, including breaching health and safety laws, misrepresentations in a pitch deck, or errors in financial reporting.

Designed to help you cover your business's legal affairs as efficiently as businesses with dedicated lawyers.

Business insurance FAQs

Do I need business insurance?

There are two key reasons why you may need business insurance: Firstly, you might consider what impact a large uninsured claim might have on you and your business. Secondly, is it a requirement if you're working with other businesses or clients?

What does business insurance cover?

Business insurance can provide a level of protection against the potential financial and reputational losses faced in the event of a claim. It's an umbrella term that covers a number of different types of insurance, all of which are designed to provide protection for different risks faced by businesses. These covers can include public liability insurance, professional indemnity insurance and employers' liability insurance.

What business insurance do I need?

This depends on the risks your business faces. Some businesses include public liability insurance, professional indemnity insurance, employers' liability insurance, buildings insurance and business contents insurance. Other more specific covers, such as cyber insurance, directors' and officers' insurance and legal protection insurance are also available.

How much is business insurance?

The cost of business insurance generally depends on a number of factors such as industry, turnover, number of employees, location.

Strictly speaking, employers' liability insurance is the only type of business insurance which may be a legal requirement for businesses operating in any industry, with employees. Other covers are, however, may be required by certain professional and regulatory bodies.

Can I get business insurance before registering my business?

Yes, you can buy business insurance before registering your business.

Individual cover purchased online is offered on a standardised, non-advised basis and is not bespoke. Terms, conditions and coverage limits are predetermined by the Underwriter. If you require bespoke coverage offered on an advised basis, please contact our in-house broking team.

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at