Official tournament rules
Here you can read up on all the official rules for Unbound 2023 – the charity esports tournament for the insurance and tech worlds
Yes, we know, there are a lot of rules associated with esports in general, Call of Duty in particular and Unbound 2023 specifically. We've listed all the rules for our charity esports tournament here so you can browse them at your leisure.
- Guidelines and overview
- Advanced gameplay rules
- Score reporting
- Online behaviour
- Allowed weapons, perks and upgrades
- Game mode settings
Guidelines and Overview
- Matches will start at 7:30pm on each tournament evening (8th, 13th and 22nd February 2023), with the finals being held after two rounds of round robin gameplay have been completed.
- The organisers will work under the assumption that each participant is aware of all the rules and checks them regularly although significant rule changes will be communicated. A lack of knowledge of the Call of Duty Tournament Rules will not be used as an excuse for rule-breaking.
- Players who take part are required to play with the Activision ID they have specified. In the event another account is going to be used, submit this to the Unbound team at the earliest opportunity.
- Every participant is required to be online in the Discord chat of the tournament they are participating in
- Every player is responsible for their own connection and has to have a good internet connection to avoid possible ‘lag’.
- Players found breaking the rules will be penalised. The exact punishment will be decided by The organiser. Examples of punishments are a 2-0 loss, replay, penalty points, exiting the tournament early, a temporary ban or a permanent ban.
- Players found to be complaining about losing a match or found to be playing out with the spirit of the game will be named and shamed as sore losers. So don’t be that person!
- If there are suspicions that your opponent is not playing by the rules or serious lag occurs for a long time, report this on the Discord as soon as possible, before your opponent has taken benefit of the problem i.e. The beginning of the game.
- Squads can consist of between 4-8 players and substitutes should be named in advance of the tournament.
- Anyone who chooses to stream through Twitch.tv or Youtube must use a 60 second delay. This is to maintain competitiveness and preserve a degree of synchronisation for the commentated stream hosted by Unbound.
- All participants must check-in 10 minutes before play starts. This should be done via the Unbound server tournament lobbs). Players who do not check-in within a minimum of 5 minutes cannot be guaranteed a match.
- The match schedule will be communicated to players in advance.
- The team who plays ‘home’ is responsible for starting a match.
- Both team captains are responsible for contacting each other and playing the game.
- Both team captains are required to take at least one photo of the score each. This photo should contain: the score and the gamertags.
- If both teams are ready, play can start before the scheduled time however additional in-play breaks will not be permitted in-game.
- When your next round is available in the schedule, you have to start directly. If the round doesn’t start in 15 minutes, the team that doesn’t show up in time will lose that round.
- Each team has to register with Unbound in order to participate, this can be coordinated by a team captain. Companies will be allowed to substitute players but these must be communicated in advance of kick-off.
- When an online tournament is organised for teams, only the main player needs to register for the tournament but they then assume captaincy and responsibility for the rest of their team. The exact number of matches and tournament format will be dictated by the number of teams entering and will be communicated to all teams in advance. The organiser reserves the right to add or remove players or teams throughout the tournament in accordance with the Call of Duty Tournament Rules.
- Once the round robin is concluded the teams will be seeded into the finals based upon their cumulative score from pool play. The finals will be single elimination style until a winner is announced.
Advanced Gameplay Rules
1) All matches should use ‘default match’ set for creation.
2) Each team gets a map veto which applies to all rounds.
3) A ‘match’ will see company teams of 4 players (0r 5 vs 5 as agreed by team captains) playing against each other.
4) Each match will consist of a minimum of 2 rounds. Round 1 is Hardpoint, Round 2 is Search and Destroy and a deciding third round of Control should it be required. The rounds will be played in a custom lobby using the CDL Playlist settings with the maps chosen by each team alternately i.e. Team A chooses the map for the first Round and Team B chooses the map for the second Round. Each team will get a map veto that will apply to both rounds.
5) There are 3 ‘Rounds’ per ‘match’.
6) Round 1 is Hardpoint with the map chosen by the ‘Home’ team.
7) Round 2 is Search and Destroy with the map chosen by the ‘Away’ team.
8) Round 3 (if required) is Control with the map chosen by the ‘Home’ team. The third round map must not have been used before.
9) 3 points will be awarded for a win, 1 point for a draw and match scores will be reported after the final round in the match. A draw only occurs if players draw round 3.
10) The team captain has to check in on the Discord channel.
11) When the Activision servers are going down during a round, and all the participants of the tournament are getting kicked out of the round, the specific round of that match will be played again. However, the score at the time of the first disconnect will be the score that the game starts with when the servers are online again. I.e if a game disconnects when Team A is beating Team B 4-2 in Search and Destroy, then as soon as either team reaches 6 in cumulative points the new game is over.
12) When 2 teams can´t connect in a match, they won´t receive any game points. If there is a possibility, the players can try to reschedule the match. The Unbound team will make every effort to ensure there is time for the rescheduled match.
13) When the connection is lost, the round will be resumed at the remaining time and the current score. Should a team refuse to complete the fixture then a victory will be awarded to the opposition team i.e. if one team disconnects and refuses to complete the match then a 2-0 victory will be awarded.
14) Should an individual or team disconnect on purpose mid-game on more than one occasion he or she may be disqualified from future fixtures.
15) During the round robin stages each team will be awarded with 3 points for an aggregate scoreline victory, one point for a draw and no points for a defeat.
16) Only TWO people may have trophy systems as their field upgrade during a match.
17) Round robin group positions will be decided by points, then the head to head result against that team in the group. In the unlikely event that teams are still equal when all this is taken into account, then progression to the knockout stages shall be settled with a one-off round between 2 nominated players.
18) Should a match in a knock out round end in a draw after the third round there will be a further team round between equal teams to determine the winner.
19) It is allowed to change your team i.e. make substitutions during the tournament but not during matches
20)If a round in a match is unfulfilled the score of the rounds that have been played will decide the match score if the round cannot be rescheduled.
21) If one or more players does not show up for his or her match, teams may play 3 v 4 but the match will be forfeited if 2 or more players do not show up.
22) Team size required will be 4 vs 4 players. Teams must have a minimum of 3 players to avoid forfeit. 3 vs 4 is allowed if you choose to play, team captains may both also agree to play 5 vs 5.
23) Captains should make contact, begin adding each other through Activision, and discuss reschedules if necessary. Should team captains not be able to decide on a reschedule the team that were available for the original tie will be awarded the victory.
1) At least one of the team captains must notify Unbound of the score after finishing the game.
2) All players are encouraged to take a picture of the result. This photo should contain: the score and the gamertags.
3) Team Captains need to report the scores within ten minutes after the end of the match.
4) Players disputing a match score must have a picture to evidence their claims.
5) When all players report no score or when needed proof of the score, both teams may be disqualified.
6) When the score of the teams does not match there will be an investigation. Once the investigation has been completed the decision about what score is awarded ultimately rests with the organiser. We take conflict seriously and want to provide the best experience for all of our players.
7) If someone deliberately passes the wrong score, the player or team in question may immediately get excluded from all events going forward.
8) When there is no Unbound admin present at a match conflict, the solution to the conflict between two participants will be postponed until another admin will be online.
1) All participants must treat each other and the organisation with respect in accordance with the Call of Duty Tournament Rules.
2) When a participant has displayed hurtful, offensive or racist expressions towards his/her opponent, they may be immediately disqualified and disciplinary measures will be taken.
3) Bad language and/or threats against the admin results in an instant disqualification.
4) In cases of fraudulent activity or players caught cheating, a participant will be disqualified immediately and disciplinary measures will be taken.
5) All participants are treated the same way. When found breaking the rules, it will be at the discretion of the organiser as to the punishment and will be delivered consistently and fairly to all players whilst be dealt with on a case by case basis.
6) Should a player purposefully disconnect during a match on more than one occasion disciplinary measures will be taken.
7) The use of the following programs is considered cheating:
These are only examples, other programs or methods may also be considered cheating.
- Al Bagra Fortress
- Breenbergh Hotel
- El Asilo
- Mercado Las Almas
|No Akimbo attachments are allowed|
|Streaks||Allowed as per the CDL playlist|
|Ultimate perks||Allowed as per the CDL playlist|
|Field upgrades||Dead silence|
|Trophy system (only two players are allowed to hold trophy systems in any one match)|
|Attachments||All except for: all silencers, all lasers, armour piercing ammo and hollow point ammo|
The following are not allowed:
- Battle rifles
- Rocket launchers
- Marksman rifles
Game mode settings
Search and destroy:
As per the CDL Playlist settings
As per the CDL Playlist settings.
As per the CDL Playlist settings