Healthcare cover

Indemnity insurance for nurses

Specialist cover for UK-based nurses. Three covers in one policy: medical malpractice insurance, professional indemnity and public liability.

Five-star rated cover for nurses

Cover for over 20 nursing specialties, including:

  • Nurse practitioner
  • District nurse
  • Forensic nurse
  • Nurse anaesthetist
  • General nurse
  • Paediatric nurse
  • Veterinary nurse

Three covers in one policy


Medical malpractice

Medical malpractice insurance is specialist cover for healthcare professionals. It offers protection for accidents such as bodily injury or even death to people in your care, spanning reasons such as:

  • Delayed diagnosis
  • Delays in referral
  • Missed diagnosis
  • Physical or mental harm to a person under your care

Professional indemnity

Professional indemnity insurance is often mandatory for healthcare professionals. It provides protection in relation to claims for financial loss caused by your errors or omissions.

For example, if you were to accidentally incorrectly measure a client for specialist tailored equipment, which resulted in them being unable to use or return the equipment, professional indemnity insurance may be able to recover this cost.


Public liability

Public liability insurance offers financial and legal protection in the event that someone is injured or their property damaged accidentally by you while you're working.

For example, if you were to visit the home of someone in your care and spill something on the floor damaging their carpet, public liability insurance may cover the cost to clean or replace the carpet.

Why Superscript?


Pay monthly

Say goodbye to annual payments. Pay on a monthly basis.


Ultimate flexibility

Freedom to adjust and manage your cover 24/7 via your online account.


No admin fees

Change or cancel your cover. No fees. All on your terms - just give us 30 days' notice.

Get instant cover in less than 10 minutes

In-house support from quote to claim. Plus access to your insurance documents 24/7 via your online account.

Nursing professional indemnity insurance FAQs

What risks does this policy cover?

Our specialist cover for nursing professionals offers comprehensive cover for risks faced while caring for patients. This includes (but is not limited to):

  • Incorrect treatment
  • Prescription errors
  • Failure to provide a sanitary environment
  • Good samaritan acts

Who is this cover for?

Our indemnity cover for nursing professionals is designed for self-employed nurses.

We can offer cover to a broad range of specialties, including (but not limited to):

  • Nurse practitioner
  • Bariatric nurse
  • District nurse
  • Forensic nurse
  • Independent nurse prescriber
  • Lymphedema nurse
  • Nurse anaesthetist
  • General nurse
  • Mental health nurse
  • Paediatric nurse
  • Opthalmic nurse
  • Palliative nurse
  • Veterinary nurse

What levels of cover do you offer?

During the quotation process you'll be able to select from £500,000 to £5 million cover for your medical indemnity package.

What is medical malpractice insurance?

Medical malpractice insurance (med mal for short) covers medical and healthcare professionals for claims alleging a mistake or negligence in the course of their duties.

Claims of medical negligence against healthcare professionals are on the rise, and the repercussions can be extremely serious, including disciplinary proceedings, medical malpractice inquiries and hefty legal and compensation costs. Medical malpractice cover will enable you to defend yourself and cover the costs involved.

Is indemnity insurance for nurses required by law?

It is a legal requirement for all nurses in the UK to carry nursing indemnity insurance. If you work for the NHS, you'll be covered by the NHS's indemnity scheme. However, if you are self-employed or practising under your own limited company, you're responsible for arranging your own insurance.

Can you provide run-off cover?

We can arrange for run-off cover to be added to your policy at an additional cost.

What is run-off cover?

Run-off cover is designed to cover you for any claims arising from work previously carried out, after you've stopped working.

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.