Public liability insurance for photographers

Accidents happen. Particularly when working in busy environments. Protect your passion with public liability cover for photographers.

Not sure where to start?

Find out what covers businesses like yours choose

Find your cover

Public liability insurance quote

per month

What is public liability insurance for photographers?

Whether you're a wedding photographer or working fashion shoots, photography involves chaotic scenes with plenty of opportunity for slips and trips. Public liability insurance offers financial protection in the event that you're liable for injury or property damage, due to your work.

  • Choose from £1m, £2m, or £5m cover
  • Pay monthly
  • Change or cancel anytime
  • Worldwide cover

Learn more

If you want to know more about public liability cover in general, our insurance 101 guides should answer your questions.

Insurance for photographers

Public liability insurance is an essential cover for most businesses - but as a photographer, what are some other covers you may want to consider? Our quote journey will guide you through the options, but here are some to consider.


Contents & equipment cover

As a photographer, your equipment is integral to your work. We offer up to £20,000 equipment cover, which includes worldwide cover for you if you travel abroad for up to 90 days. Learn more about business contents cover.


Professional indemnity

Professional indemnity is for claims made by your clients for their loss that arises out of your professional services.


Media liability

Included with our PI cover, media liability insurance covers IP and trademark infringement, violation of rights of privacy - and more - in media content and advertising, including websites, blogs and social media.


Employers liability

This type of cover is a legal requirement for any business with employees. We offer up to £10 million cover as part of our employers liability insurance.

We've made insuring your business simple. Get started.

Public liability insurance for photographers FAQs

Public liability cover is not a legal requirement. However, many businesses consider it an insurance essential for two reasons:

  1. They can't afford the financial risk of being uninsured.
  2. Clients will often name public liability insurance as a condition of working with you.

Do I need public liability insurance as a freelance photographer?

As a freelancer, you'll need to provide your own public liability cover as you won't be covered by a client's own public liability insurance. It's also worth bearing in mind that some venues will specify a minimum level of cover, so it's a good idea to check for insurance requirements each time you work with a new client or venue.

How much does public liability insurance cost?

This will vary depending on your business's individual needs. Our cover starts from £5.00 per month. Find out more about factors that influence the cost of public liability insurance.

What's the excess on this cover?

Our public liability cover has a standard excess of £250. So if you need to make a claim, you'll need to contribute £250 and we'll cover the rest.

How quickly do you settle claims?

We aim to settle claims within 48 hours, so if the worst does happen, you can rest assured that we'll do our best to get you up and running again in no time.

Customise your cover

To simplify things, we've categorised our covers into three groups: essential covers, professional covers, and management covers. You'll be guided through these different options during the quotation process.

Essential covers

per month

Essential for all businesses needing protection against bodily injury and lost or damaged property.

Professional covers

per month

Protect against risks associated with the professional services you provide and the way you market your business.

Management cover

per month

Protect your management and shareholders against the operational risks associated with running a company.

Boost your cover from £2.80 per month

Legal protection insurance

Covers compensation awards, professional fees and legal costs associated with a range of legal disputes.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at