Underwritten by

Personalised cover underwritten by one of the UK's leading insurers

Landlord insurance Landlord insurance

Cover for HMOs and student houses
Enjoy a multi-property discount
Five-star customer service and claims support

Be quote confident. We'll beat the price of any like-for-like quote. T&Cs apply.

Get your quick quote

per month

Why get covered with Superscript?

10% of landlords paid £12.95 a month or less for their Superscript insurance between January and March 2023.

  • Protect your portfolio of up to 10 properties
  • Buildings, fixtures and fittings and property owners' liability cover
  • Discounts for multiple premises
  • Optional cover for rental income, employers' liability and more

We insure a large variety of residential property types

From a single studio apartment to an entire row of flats, we can cover a range of properties, including:

  • Flats or houses
  • Apartment buildings with multiple flats
  • Portfolios of mixed residential and commercial properties
  • HMOs and student houses
  • Commercial properties including shopping units and warehouses

To check if we cover your needs as a landlord, simply click 'Start your quote'.

While we'd like to cover everything, there are some exclusions to our residential landlord insurance. Sadly we cannot insure:

  • Property that is let out to a local authority with an unknown occupant
  • Homes that are unoccupied for more than 6 months per year
  • HMOs with more than 5 tenancy agreements
  • HMOs with tenancy agreements of less than 180 days
  • Mansion blocks or the flats contained within

Once you've completed a quote, you'll be able to view a summary of cover. Please always refer to your policy documents for full details around exclusions, terms and limits of your customised cover. Read our guide to understanding your policy documents.

Landlord insurance FAQs

How much does landlord insurance cost?

Superscript's landlord insurance starts from just £12.95 a month, but the price of your policy could vary depending on how many properties are covered, whether they are commercial or residential buildings, their location and a number of other factors.

10% of landlords paid £12.95 a month or less for their Superscript insurance between January and March 2023.

What types of properties does landlord insurance cover?

Superscript's landlords' insurance products include cover for both residential and commercial properties, or a mix of the two, including studio apartments, flats, houses, warehouses, office space and shops.

Can I get landlord insurance if my property is temporarily unoccupied?

Yes, with Superscript's landlord insurance your cover is valid even if your property is unoccupied for a period of up to 45 consecutive days.

However, if the property is unoccupied for longer than that, there are certain things you must do for your policy to remain valid, including, but not limited to:

  • You must let Superscript know as soon as the property becomes unoccupied for longer than 45 days
  • The property must be inspected both internally and externally at least once a week, with a written report of the inspection
  • All refuse and waste must be regularly removed
  • The property must be adequately secured and letterboxes sealed
  • Gas, water and electricity supplies must be turned off at the mains
  • All damage must be rectified immediately
  • All water systems must be drained between 1st October and 31st March

Superscript reserves the right to cancel a policy if your property is unoccupied for more than 45 consecutive days.

What excess will I pay?

The amount of excess you will be required to pay depends on what kind of insured event has occurred. Superscript's excesses include:

  • Fire, lightning, explosion, aircraft, or earthquake - no excess
  • Damage caused by flood - minimum excess £300
  • Malicious damage and theft by tenants - £500
  • All other insured damage (where an excess applies) - minimum excess £250
  • Subsidence - minimum excess £1,000
  • Property owners liability - £200

Can I insure multiple properties?

Yes, you are able to insure a portfolio of up to 10 properties on one policy.

What if I need to change or cancel my policy?

You can change your policy anytime, but we need 30 days' notice if you'd like cancel.

What is an HMO?

In the UK rental market, HMO stands for 'house in multiple occupation' (or sometimes 'house of multiple occupancy'). UK law defines a rental property as an HMO if both of the following apply:

  • At least three tenants live there, forming more than one household
  • Toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities are shared

A ‘household’ means either a single person or members of the same family who live together and this includes couples who are married or living together and people in same-sex relationships.

So, a property would be classed as an HMO if it is shared by two or more individuals or groups that are not family members, a married couple or in a relationship. A common term to describe this kind of arrangement is a ‘house share’.

What's the difference between rent guarantee insurance and rental income cover?

Superscript offers two optional covers called 'rental income cover' and 'rent guarantee insurance' as part of our residential landlords insurance product.

Rental income can pay you the income you would have received in rent if your property is damaged and becomes uninhabitable by a tenant for up to 24 months.

Rent guarantee, meanwhile, pays you the rent you are due in the event that your tenant or ex-tenant still occupies your property but does not pay their rent.

Is landlord insurance tax deductible?

Yes, all covers included in your landlord insurance policy are categorised as 'allowable expenses' by HMRC. This means you can write off the cost of your insurance policy against your taxable rental income for the tax year.

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at www.fca.org.uk or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at www.fscs.org.uk.