Underwritten by

Flexible cover underwritten by one of the UK's leading insurers

Landlord insurance Landlord insurance

Get a quote in under 5 minutes
Enjoy a multi-property discount
Five-star support, if you need it

Get your quick quote

per month

Why get covered with Superscript?

Say goodbye to inflexible year-long contracts, and hello to the insurance solution built around your landlord needs.

10% of landlords paid £11.97 a month or less for their Superscript insurance between July and September 2022.

  • Change or cancel anytime, with no fees
  • Protect your portfolio of up to 10 properties
  • Buildings, fixtures and fittings and property owners liability cover
  • Discounts for multiple premises
  • Flexible monthly rolling subscription
  • Optional cover for rental income, employers' liability and more

We insure a large variety of property types

From renting out a string of retail units with flats above them to letting a selection of apartments with a shop unit on the ground floor, whatever mix of properties make up your portfolio, we've got you covered.

Here are a few popular rentals we cover:

  • Shops
  • Warehouses
  • Office space
  • Mixed commercial and residential buildings
  • Apartments
  • Houses
  • Studio flats

While we'd like to cover everything, there are some exclusions to our landlord insurance:

  • Student properties or houses in multiple occupation (HMOs)
  • Property that is let out to a local authority with an unknown occupant
  • Mansion blocks or the flats contained within
  • Homes that are unoccupied for more than 6 months per year

Unfortunately we also cannot insure properties used for heavy industry, including:

  • Agricultural merchants
  • Cement manufacturers
  • Locomotive manufacturers
  • Chemical producers

To check if we cover your needs as a portfolio landlord, simply click 'Start your quote'.

What does landlords insurance cover?


If you are a freeholder (or a leaseholder with responsibilities to maintain the building that your property sits in) then this element of your landlord insurance covers the cost of repairing accidental or malicious damage to the building.

Fixtures and fittings

Whether you're the landlord of a freehold or leasehold property, you may be responsible for maintaining the fixtures and fittings within the property. You will be covered for repair or replacement costs of fixtures and fitting within the property.

Property owners liability

Covers your liability to pay compensation and legal costs (between £1 million and £10 million) in relation to bodily injury to either a tenant or member of the public.

Additional covers

On top of these options, we also offer a bunch of other covers to boost your policy and give you the perfect protection.

Employers' liability

This is a legal requirement for any landlord that employs staff (such as an admin assistant or handyman) and covers your liability to pay compensation and legal costs in relation to work-related sickness or bodily injury of an employee.


Covers your repair costs for damage to your property, your financial losses and your property owners liability in the event of an act of terrorism, which would not otherwise be an insurable event.

Rental income

If your property becomes damaged to the point that it is uninhabitable, the rental income you would have been paid is covered for a period of up to 24 months while the property cannot be occupied.

Landlords contents

Covers the value of all of the items in the rental property that belong to the landlord (such as upholstery and furniture) against accidental and malicious damage, up to a limit of £75,000.

Once you've completed a quote, you'll be able to view a summary of cover. Please always refer to your policy documents for full details around exclusions, terms and limits of your customised cover.

Landlord insurance FAQs

How much does landlord insurance cost?

Superscript's landlord insurance starts from just £11.97 aer month, but the price of your policy could vary depending on how many properties are covered, whether they are commercial or residential buildings, their location and a number of other factors.

10% of landlords paid £11.97 a month or less for their Superscript insurance between July and September 2022.

What types of properties does landlord insurance cover?

Superscript's landlords' insurance products include cover for both residential and commercial properties, or a mix of the two, including studio apartments, flats, houses, warehouses, office space and shops.

Can I get landlord insurance if my property is temporarily unoccupied?

Yes, with Superscript's landlord insurance your cover is valid even if your property is unoccupied for a period of up to 45 consecutive days.

However, if the property is unoccupied for longer than that, there are certain things you must do for your policy to remain valid, including, but not limited to:

  • You must let Superscript know as soon as the property becomes unoccupied for longer than 45 days
  • The property must be inspected both internally and externally at least once a week, with a written report of the inspection
  • All refuse and waste must be regularly removed
  • The property must be adequately secured and letterboxes sealed
  • Gas, water and electricity supplies must be turned off at the mains
  • All damage must be rectified immediately
  • All water systems must be drained between 1st October and 31st March

Superscript reserves the right to cancel a policy if your property is unoccupied for more than 45 consecutive days.

What excess will I pay?

The amount of excess you will be required to pay depends on what kind of insured event has occurred. Superscript's excesses include:

  • Fire, lightning, explosion, aircraft, or earthquake - no excess
  • Damage caused by flood - minimum excess £300
  • Malicious damage and theft by tenants - £500
  • All other insured damage (where an excess applies) - minimum excess £250
  • Subsidence - minimum excess £1,000
  • Property owners liability - £200

Can I insure multiple properties?

Yes, you are able to insure a portfolio of up to 10 properties on one policy.

What if I need to change or cancel my policy?

You won't be charged any fees or penalties for changing or cancelling your policy. You can change your policy anytime, but we need 30 days' notice if you'd like cancel.

What's the difference between rent guarantee insurance and rental income cover?

Superscript offers two optional covers called 'rental income cover' and 'rent guarantee insurance' as part of our residential landlords insurance product.

Rental income can pay you the income you would have received in rent if your property is damaged and becomes uninhabitable by a tenant for up to 24 months.

Rent guarantee, meanwhile, pays you the rent you are due in the event that your tenant or ex-tenant still occupies your property but does not pay their rent.

Is landlord insurance tax deductible?

Yes, all covers included in your landlord insurance policy are categorised as 'allowable expenses' by HMRC. This means you can write off the cost of your insurance policy against your taxable rental income for the tax year.

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at www.fca.org.uk or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at www.fscs.org.uk.