Insurance for cleaners

Flexible and customisable cleaning insurance. Whether you’re making residential or commercial properties shine, we’ve got you covered.

Cleaning business insurance quote

per month

What does cleaning insurance cover?

From slippery floors and vacuum wires to valuable items and harsh chemicals – cleaning can be a risky business and getting into a dispute with a client could get messy.

Whether you work solo or employ a crew, our cleaners insurance provides essential cover to protect your business from accidents, injury, damage to property and more.

  • Adjust or cancel anytime, without being charged
  • Choose from £1m, £2m, or £5m of public liability cover
  • Flexible monthly subscription
  • Instant policy documents

Get cleaning insurance in less than 10 minutes

Change or cancel it at any time. No penalties.

What insurance does a cleaner need?

Public liability insurance

If you regularly enter clients’ homes or work around the public at commercial properties, public liability insurance for cleaners is essential for your business. If an accidental injury or property damage happens as a result of your cleaning work, public liability can cover the legal and compensation costs if someone were to make a claim against you.

Contents and equipment insurance

Cleaning takes a lot of equipment to get the job done and keep your business running, so protecting it all is important. If your cleaning equipment gets stolen or is accidentally damaged, contents and equipment insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing it, so you don’t lose out on a day’s work.

Employers liability insurance

Whether full-time, part-time or temporary – if you employ one or more people, employers’ liability (EL) cover is a legal requirement for your business. Our flexible insurance means you can easily make changes to your policy regarding the number of employees you have and you won't be charged any fees.

Personal accident cover

If you or your employees suffer an accident that affects your ability to work, personal accident insurance will pay compensation to cover your earnings until you get back on your feet.

Hired-in machinery cover

As a cleaning business, you might have to hire some specialist equipment from time to time. If you do, we can add extra cover to your policy to protect hired-in machinery from theft or damage.

Just need to insure your tools and equipment?

At Superscript, we offer special cover for just the tools and equipment of your trade. You won't be tied into taking out any other covers in your policy so you only pay for what you need.

As an professional cleaner, you can get simple, flexible cover for vital items of equipment such as:

  • Vacuum cleaner
  • Steam cleaner
  • Pressure washer
  • Equipment trolly
  • Phone

Read more about our tools-only cover here.

We've made insuring your business simple. Get started.

Cleaning insurance FAQs

Do I need insurance to clean houses?

If you employ staff, employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement for UK businesses.

It doesn't matter if it's one person or a team of people, if you're not covered for employers’ liability and you have employees, you could be fined up to £2,500 for every day that you didn’t have it.

While not a legal requirement, many cleaning companies find public liability essential to protect their business. This is because you regularly come into contact with other peoples’ property. Some clients may even insist that you have this insurance before taking you on.

How much is insurance for a cleaning business?

Our quotes start from as little as £5.00 a month. The cost of insurance for a cleaning company or sole trader varies depending on factors such as revenue, number or employees and how much cover you’d like. To get an idea of how much your monthly premiums would be, we'd recommend starting a quote. There's no obligation and it only take a few minutes.

Will switching from sole trader to a limited company affect my policy?

Yes, switching from a sole trader to limited company may affect your premiums as the legal structure of your business is changing and we usually provide additional cover for limited companies.

I sometimes work overseas, can you provide for that?

Yes, as long as your business is based in the UK, we can provide cleaning liability insurance for work anywhere in the world.

What kinds of employees are covered under employers’ liability insurance?

All types of employee can be covered under the same policy for the same risks with Superscript’s employers’ liability. So, whether they’re full-time, part-time, subcontractors or agency staff, we have suitable cover for you.

Do you offer commercial and domestic cleaning insurance?

Yes. We offer a range of cleaning insurance policies including:

– Domestic properties only

– Domestic properties plus commercial properties, such as shops and offices

– Domestic and commercial properties with additional cover for hazardous locations

As part of my business, I sell a small number of cleaning products – do you provide cover for this?

Yes, as long as the products aren't homemade or rebranded and are kept at your business premises, we can add stock cover to your policy. And, if you have contents and equipment insurance, we can also protect your stock against theft from your vehicle if it’s left unattended.

Am I covered if I lose my clients’ keys?

Yes, we can extend your cover to include this as well as lock replacement.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at