Construction insurance

Flexible cover for over 200 different types of trades.

Get a quote in 4 minutes and specialised insurance from £8.33 a month.

Construction insurance quote

per month

What does construction insurance cover?

If you work on a construction site, you'll know the risks you face on a daily basis. Our construction insurance is designed to cover you for the things that can go wrong while you're on the job. So, whether you're working below ground, performing gas fitting or conducting electrical work, we can cover you for the type of work you do and the sort of business structure you are, such as sole trader or limited company.

  • Public liability insurance limits up to £5 million
  • £10 million employers liability cover as standard
  • Up to £10k cover for portable tools and equipment (maximum £1,000 per item)
  • Up to £500k cover to contract or development works

Get construction insurance in less than 10 minutes

Flexible monthly subscription. No fees to change or cancel your cover.

What insurance do I need to work in construction?

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance for construction covers you for accident, injury and property damage claims made against you by the public as a result of your work. It's not a legal requirement in the UK, but a lot of trade associations and clients may require you to have it in order to work with them.

Employers liability insurance

Employers liability insurance is a legal requirement for employers in the UK, regardless of whether your staff are full-time, part-time, apprentices, contracting or temporary.

If you don't have employers liability insurance and you're found to have employees, you can be fined up to £2,500 for every day you weren't insured.

Our employers liability cover includes a £10 million limit as standard as well as 50 days’ cover each year for temporary employees (who don't need to register with us).

Contract works cover

Contract works cover insures you for incidents that are out of your control at your contract job – such as theft, fire, water and wind damage – as well as accidents that can delay the completion of a job. You can add this to your construction insurance policy as an optional extra, with limits of up to £500,000.

Tools insurance and equipment cover

Theft or damage to your tools is, unfortunately, commonplace on a construction site, and if something does happen to your kit it can really put a spanner in the works. Our equipment cover makes sure your tools are protected, so you can easily replace or repair them and don't lose a day's work.

Tools and equipment cover is an optional extra with us, but if you did add it to your policy you'd be protected for:

  • Portable tools and equipment (maximum value of £1,000 per item), up to £10,000 cover
  • Construction plant and machinery owned by you, up to £25,000 cover
  • Hired-in plant insurance, up to £50,000 cover

We'd recommend that when you're not using your equipment to lock it up securely to minimise the risks. If you're often on the road, we can also offer cover to protect your tools while they're in a vehicle overnight.

Stock cover

On top of tools, you may also need cover for the materials you're using on site. We provide protection for materials such as wood, paint and tiles, up to £5,000, from theft and damage. As with your tools, it's important to take precautions with your work materials, meaning they should be stored securely at your business premises or in a vehicle while they're in transit.

Personal accident cover

Being on site has a lot of risks for you, too. And a serious injury could place you out of work. If this happens, our personal accident cover can pay compensation of up to £5,000 to help you out until you can get back on your feet.

We've made insuring your business simple. Get started.

Construction insurance FAQs

What is construction insurance?

Construction insurance is designed to cover you and your business from risks like accidents, injuries, theft and property damage that occur as a result of your work. Our construction insurance policy is tailored to include cover that protects you for the specific work you do.

What trades do you cover?

We can cover over 200 different types of trades, including building, plastering, carpentry, roofing, and so much more. To find if yours is included, simply search for your industry or type of work when getting a quote.

If you can’t see your trade as an option when you get a quote, we might still cover it. Just contact our customer success team via chat, email or phone and let's see what we can do.

Will I be covered to work abroad?

You'll be covered to work temporarily for up to 180 days anywhere within the European Union as part of your policy.

Do I need to tell you each time I get a new employee?

If you have employers liability with us and employ temporary workers, there's no need to let us know when you gain or lose an employee, so long as they haven't worked with you for longer than 50 days. If you have full-time employees, it's important that you let us know each time you gain or lose an employee.

How much does construction liability insurance cost?

Your construction insurance quote will depend on the level of cover you need and certain factors such as your business structure, the type of work you do and whether you have employees. The cost of our construction insurance starts from as little as £8.33 per month.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.