Insurance for gardeners

Protect your green fingers, tools and gardening business from mistakes and accidents with flexible and customisable insurance from £3.16 a month.

Get a quote in 4 minutes.

Gardeners insurance quote

per month

What does gardening insurance cover?

Whether you're a planter, pruner, landscaper or patio layer, if you're outside in the elements, working with clients and equipment, there are a bunch of risks that could affect your business.

At Superscript, we offer liability insurance for gardeners that is specifically tailored to your business, so you'll be protected from the risks that could affect you the most. These covers include, but are not limited to:

  • Public liability
  • Employers' liability
  • Portable tools and equipment
  • Personal accident
  • Professional indemnity
  • Hired-in plant and machinery

What insurance does a gardener need?

Public liability insurance

From clients to passers-by, the nature of your job means you're interacting with the public on a regular basis. If you injure someone or damage their property, you could be liable for the legal fees and compensation if they made a claim against you. Gardeners public liability insurance can help to cover those costs, so you don't have to.

Employers' liability insurance

Whether you have an extra pair of hands helping out with a project or a dedicated team, if you hire anyone – regardless of whether they're full-time, part-time or temporary – employers' liability insurance is a legal requirement for businesses in the UK.

It's designed to cover your business from legal and compensation costs if an employee makes a claim against you due to injury.

Professional indemnity insurance

From grass and flowers dying while in your care to errors in a garden's design, if you make a mistake in your work or a client is unhappy with a finished project, they could make a claim against your business. If this happens, professional indemnity insurance is designed to covers the costs associated with the claim, including settlements and rewards.

Personal accident cover

Gardening is a hands-on job that involves a lot of lifting, building and wielding tools. If you suffer from an accidental injury that means you can't work for a period of time, personal accident cover can compensate you for lost earnings until you're back in the garden again.

Portable tools and equipment

As a gardener or landscaper, your tools are vital to your business, but what would you do if they were damaged or stolen? Portable equipment cover protects your tools, repairing or replacing them if needed, so you don't miss out on a day's work.

Gardeners insurance FAQs

What is gardeners insurance?

Gardening insurance is a type of business insurance that caters to gardeners or those with a gardening business.

From nurturing plants at residential properties to landscaping large green spaces for commercial spaces, there are so many different types of gardening businesses. When you start a quote with us, you can build the cover you need to suit the type of work you do, the business you have and the number of people you employ, if any. If your business grows and you need to change your level of cover, you can do so easily at no extra cost.

Do gardeners need insurance?

If you or your gardening business employs people, the only insurance that's legally required in the UK is employers' liability. All other covers, while not legally required, can come in handy and save you a hefty amount in legal and compensation fees if a claim is made against you.

Do you offer gardening business insurance for residential and commercial properties?

Yes, our policy covers both residential and commercial properties. In terms of non-residential properties, we can cover locations such as schools, hospitals, office spaces, museums, restaurants and cafes.

Do you offer landscaping insurance?

Yes, we do. When getting a quote, search for ‘landscape gardening’ or ‘landscape consultancy’ and the relevant covers will appear. You can then select the ones that are relevant to you.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.