Insurance for artists Insurance for artists

If you're selling online, performing or exhibiting IRL, our artists' cover protects against public liability, equipment damage, media mishaps and more.

Be quote confident. We'll beat the price of any like-for-like quote. T&Cs apply.

Not sure where to start?

Find out what covers businesses like yours choose

Find your cover

Artists insurance quote

per month

What does artist insurance cover?

Whether you're working at home, in your studio, performing in person or selling online, we've got cover to protect your business. And if your circumstances change from time to time, you can update your cover so that you're only ever paying for what you need.

10% of artists paid £5 a month or less for their Superscript business insurance between January and March 2023.

  • Artist cover tailored to your needs
  • Pick and choose your covers
  • Tweak your policy with no admin fees
  • UK-based support, hassle-free claims

Be quote confident

We're big on fairness. So if you find a lower price for a comparable quote, we won't just match it – we'll go one better and beat it.

So even better than apples to apples, apples to better apples. We're talking Galas to Braeburns.

As you'd expect, T&Cs apply.

Done and dusted in less than ten minutes

Get a quote in four minutes, or fully covered in ten.

What insurance do I need as an artist?

Public liability insurance

Public liability for an artist will protect you against claims of accidental injury or property damage by members of the public. If you interact with couriers who are delivering your supplies, organise photoshoots for your work or invite customers to pick up their order, you may want to consider this type of insurance. It's designed to cover the legal and compensation costs associated with a claim involving a member of the public.

Contents and equipment insurance

Business contents insurance is to cover all the physical equipment you need to run your business, from instruments, art supplies, laptops or special equipment and tools you use. Our policy will cover the costs for repair or replacement of your essential equipment so that you’re up and running again in no time. Our mobile protection will also cover your insured contents and equipment in the UK and temporarily anywhere in the world.

Media liability insurance

Automatically included with our cyber covers, media liability covers you for negligence in your communications over online and offline media, including social media, blogs, websites and advertising. Our policy covers for infringement of intellectual property, copyright infringement, breach of comparative advertising regulations, and privacy and confidentiality laws.

Employers' liability insurance

Employers' liability (EL) cover is a legal requirement for most UK companies that employ staff. With no fees for adjusting your policy, it's easy to update your cover as your business evolves or your business grows.

Cyber insurance

If you have an online shop or hold any personal data (for example, contact and payment information) you should think about cyber insurance. It protects sellers from claims arising from cyber and data liability as well as provides a vital support system if you experience a security breach.

Once you've completed a quote, you'll be able to view a summary of cover. Please always refer to your policy documents for full details around exclusions, terms and limits of your customised cover. Read our guide to understanding your policy documents.

Do you only sell your artwork online?

If you exclusively sell your art via the internet (and not from a physical shop or exhibition), you may need business cover that's a little different.

That's why we've put together a new ecommerce insurance product to cover the unique risks associated with selling your artwork online.

Artists insurance FAQs

Do I need public liability insurance for a show or exhibition?

Although public liability insurance isn't a legal requirement in the UK, you may find that the organiser of a show or exhibition will require you to have public liability cover.

How much public liability cover do I need?

Sometimes this is dictated by the owner of an event, or pop up space, but we offer a choice between £1m, £2m or £5m cover. If you start with one level of cover and your needs later change, you can always update it. We won't charge admin fees.

What covers should I consider if I'm selling art online?

In addition to public liability and product liability, you may want to consider cyber insurance and media liability insurance if you're

What is media liability cover?

Media liability cover protects against accidental trademark infringements. An example of how this might happen when selling art online is if you were to accidentally list an item using a trademarked name. Media liability would cover legal and compensation costs. Media liability is only available when purchased alongside cyber liability.

Why would I need cyber liability cover as an artist or musician?

If you're selling items online, you'll be dealing with some customer data (for example, names, addresses, payment details). Cyber cover will protect you against any data breaches involving the details of over 50 people and with GDPR in force, an accidental breach could land you with a hefty fine.

Boost your cover with legal protection insurance

Covers compensation awards, professional fees and legal costs associated with a range of legal disputes.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at