Driving instructor insurance Driving instructor insurance

Comprehensive business insurance that's completely steered by you.

Get a quote in just 4 minutes and cover from £7.83 per month.

Be quote confident. We'll beat the price of any like-for-like quote. T&Cs apply.

Not sure where to start?

Find out what covers businesses like yours choose

Find your cover

Driving instructor insurance quote

per month

Why buy driving instructor insurance?

As someone who often has learners drivers behind the wheel, buying business insurance for your driving instructor business makes a lot of sense. If an accident happened such as one of your students getting injured, or you suffered an injury yourself, a policy could protect you by providing legal fees and compensation to either the claimant or to replace your salary if you're unable to work.

At Superscript, we give you complete control over your business insurance, allowing you to pick and choose the covers that most suit your needs. This means you never pay a penny more than you need to for the right level of protection.

10% of driving instructors paid £7.83 a month or less for their Superscript business insurance between July and September 2022.

  • Choose from £1m, £2m, or £5m public liability cover
  • Change or cancel anytime, for no extra fee
  • Optional £10m employers' liability cover as standard
  • Pay monthly, no locked-in annual fees

Be quote confident

We're big on fairness. So if you find a lower price for a comparable quote, we won't just match it – we'll go one better and beat it.

So even better than apples to apples, apples to better apples. We're talking Galas to Braeburns.

As you'd expect, T&Cs apply.

What insurance do driving instructors need?


Public liability insurance

Any profession that interacts with members of the public, such as your driving students, should consider public liability insurance. It covers the legal and compensation costs if someone who isn't an employee suffers an accidental injury or property damage.


Employers' liability insurance

If you employ anyone, from full-time and part-time staff to temporary workers or contractors, employers' liability cover is a legal requirement in the UK. If you employ people without this type of cover, you could be fined up to £2,500 for every day you don't have it.


Professional indemnity

Professional indemnity insurance is particularly popular with professions that offer services. It provides protection if you were to make a mistake in your driving instruction. For instance, if you were to teach your student the wrong thing and they failed their test.


Cyber insurance

If you store your students' data, you might want to consider adding cyber insurance to your policy. It's designed to protect you if you suffer a data breach or theft or if you or an employee accidentally breaches GDPR legislation.

If you also take card payments from your students, cyber insurance would cover your business if private card data is breached. If you use an electronic payment card system, this should be PCI DSS compliant to reduce the risk of these types of data breaches.


Personal accident

If you or one of your employees suffers an injury while teaching and can't work, personal accident insurance will pay you financial compensation to cover your income until you get back on your feet.


Business equipment

Being a driving instructor is a pretty mobile role, and you'll likely carry portable technology such as a mobile phone or laptop. If any insured equipment that you use to do your job was lost, stolen or damaged, business equipment insurance would cover the cost of replacing or repairing it.

Once you've completed a quote, you'll be able to view a summary of cover. Please always refer to your policy documents for full details around exclusions, terms and limits of your customised cover.

How do claims work?


You make a claim

Log in to your online account and go to the ‘Make a claim’ section. There, you can make a claim directly – there's no need to call us.

We'll ask you for some details about your claim, including a crime reference number (if applicable), the date of loss, type of claim and its detailed description.

You can also attach any relevant supporting documentation like proof of loss or proof of purchase.


We'll get on the case

Once submitted, your claim will be assessed.

If the claim is large, we may need more information from you. Or, if it's small, our team may be able to settle it within a couple of days (or hours, in some cases).

Either way, we'll keep you regularly updated and you'll be able to see the status of your claim on our customer portal.


Your claim is settled

After it's been assessed, we'll let you know if your claim has been successful or not.

If items have been lost, stolen or damaged, we might arrange for the items to be replaced or make a payment to you.

Driving instructor insurance FAQs

How much does driving instructor insurance cost?

The cost of your premium will depend on the level and types of cover you choose for your business. Our driving instructor insurance starts from £7.83 per month.

Do driving instructors need insurance?

Most insurance is optional rather than mandatory. An exception to this is employers' liability cover, which is a legal requirement for anyone with employees. Despite this, the majority of businesses that have lots of contact with clients consider public liability an essential, as many would be unable to afford an uninsured claim.

Will my equipment be covered if it's stored in my car?

Yes, if you have business equipment cover and you've taken measures to ensure your items are secure, your equipment will be covered from theft.

I want to switch from a sole trader to limited company, will this affect my policy?

If you want to change your business type, you're welcome to do so at any time. We won't charge you for the change to your policy, but your premium may change.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at www.fca.org.uk or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at www.fscs.org.uk.