Insurance for Carers Insurance for Carers

Specialist cover for UK-based carers. Three covers in one policy: medical malpractice, professional indemnity and public liability insurance.

Be quote confident. We'll beat the price of any like-for-like quote. T&Cs apply.

Not sure where to start?

Find out what covers businesses like yours choose

Find your cover

Specialist carer insurance quote from £10.79 a month

  • Pick the covers you need, leave the ones you don't
  • Enjoy 5-star customer service and claims support
  • Add or remove covers and adjust your limits, with no extra fees
  • Pay monthly or annually, it’s your choice
  • Done and dusted in 10 minutes
  • Cover for claim-related legal expenses and compensation costs
  • Designed for both care agencies and self-employed private carers

10% of carers paid £10.79 a month or less for their Superscript business insurance between January and March 2023.

Three covers in one policy


Medical malpractice

Medical malpractice insurance is specialist cover for healthcare professionals. It offers protection for accidents such as bodily injury or even death to people in your care, spanning reasons such as:

  • Delayed diagnosis
  • Delays in referral
  • Missed diagnosis
  • Physical or mental harm to a person under your care
  • Failure to provide a sanitary environment

Professional indemnity

Professional indemnity insurance is often mandatory for healthcare professionals. It provides protection in relation to claims for financial loss caused by your errors or omissions.

For example, if you were to accidentally incorrectly measure a client for specialist tailored care equipment, which resulted in them being unable to use or return the equipment, professional indemnity insurance may be able to recover this cost.


Public liability

Public liability insurance offers financial and legal protection in the event that someone is injured or their property damaged accidentally by you while you're working.

For example, if you were to accidentally injure a client when bathing them in excessively hot water, or damage their property, by forgetting to turn off the tap after bathing them, public liability insurance may cover the costs associated with this damage.

Once you've completed a quote, you'll be able to view a summary of cover. Please always refer to your policy documents for full details around exclusions, terms and limits of your customised cover. Read our guide to understanding your policy documents.

Be quote confident

We're big on fairness. So if you find a lower price for a comparable quote, we won't just match it – we'll go one better and beat it.

So even better than apples to apples, apples to better apples. We're talking Galas to Braeburns.

As you'd expect, T&Cs apply.

How do claims work?


Notify us of the claim

Contact us by email at, by 24/7 freephone on 0800 772 3059 or by logging in to your customer portal.

Ideally this should be done as soon as possible and within 30 days of you becoming aware of anything which you think may be covered by your insurance.

A good indicator of whether or not to let us know is if there's an issue which may require a payment to be made on your behalf.


We'll get on the case

We'll acknowledge your claim within 24 hours, and sometimes in as little as 30 minutes! This means you'll receive email confirmation of your claims reference and contact information should you need to speak to us.

We will then reach out to you within 48 hours to request any extra information we need to progress your claim.

We'll keep you updated on the next steps as the claim progresses.


A decision is made

We'll let you know if your claim is successful or not. If your claim isn't covered, we will always try to point you in the right direction and support you as best we can in getting back to normal.

Read about the most common reasons claims aren't paid.

If your claim is successful, once we have all the documents we need, we will aim to settle claims such as accidental damage, theft and lost equipment within five working days.

Carers insurance claim examples

There are many different situations in which a professional carer may need to make an insurance claim, so here are a few examples of incidences where your business may either be liable or protected in the event of loss or damage.

Water damage

When running a bath for a client in their home, you leave the tap running and flood the bathroom, causing damage to their home and the flat below. Your public liability insurance covers your legal and compensation costs in the event of a claim.

Incorrect measurements

You incorrectly take measurements for your client meaning that their specialist care equipment is installed incorrectly, costing them a significant amount of money. Your professional indemnity insurance can cover the legal and compensation costs of a claim.

Delayed referral

You do not refer your client to a medical professional in a timely manner when an issue arises, which causes them harm in the long term. Your medical malpractice insurance can cover compensation costs if a claim is made against you.

Carers insurance FAQs

What risks does this policy cover?

Our specialist cover for healthcare professionals offers comprehensive cover for risks faced while caring for patients. This includes (but is not limited to):

  • Good samaritan acts
  • Incorrect treatment
  • Failure to provide a sanitary environment
  • Accidental injury caused to a client or member of the public

Who is this cover for?

Our healthcare professionals insurance is designed for UK-based self-employed carers, nurses and healthcare technicians.

What levels of carer insurance cover do you offer?

During the quotation process you'll be able to select from £500,000 to £5 million cover for your medical indemnity package.

What is medical malpractice insurance?

Medical malpractice insurance (med mal for short) covers medical and healthcare professionals (including carers) for claims alleging a mistake or negligence in the course of their duties.

Claims of medical negligence against healthcare professionals are on the rise, and the repercussions can be extremely serious, including disciplinary proceedings, medical malpractice inquiries and hefty legal and compensation costs. Medical malpractice cover will enable you to defend yourself and cover the costs involved.

Do carers need public liability cover?

We include public liability cover as part of our carers insurance to cover you in the event that you accidentally cause a person to become injured or you damage property in the course of your caring duties.

Can you provide run-off cover?

We can arrange for run-off cover to be added to your policy at an additional cost.

What is run-off cover?

Run-off cover is designed to cover you for any claims arising from work previously carried out, after you've stopped working.

Do carers need employers' liability cover?

If you own a business tht employs carers, then you are likely to be legally obliged to hold employers' liability insurance. This covers your business if one of your staff members makes a claim against the business.

Conversely, if you are a sole trader carer who does not employ anyone, then you do not need to take out employers' liability cover.

Do I need insurance for volunteer carers?

Whether working in a voluntary or paid capacity, it is advisable to have medical indemnity cover for carers in your organisation. Also, you need to take out employers' liability cover if any carers work for you, even in a voluntary capacity.

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at