Nanny & child care insurance Nanny & child care insurance

Protection against accidents and mistakes for professional nannies and child minders with personalised cover, tailored to your individual needs.

Be quote confident. We'll beat the price of any like-for-like quote. T&Cs apply.

Not sure where to start?

Find out what covers businesses like yours choose

Find your cover

Nanny insurance quote from £17.55 a month

20% of childminders paid £17.55 a month or less for their Superscript business insurance between January and March 2023.

What does child care insurance cover?

Whether you're a part-time child minder, or a full-time live-in nanny operating as a sole trader business, Superscript have created a specialist comprehensive insurance product that can protect you against a number of risks associated with caring for children.

At Superscript, we offer nannies and child carers a package of three covers in one to cater to the many risks inherent in caring for children. The core covers for professional nannies include:

  • Public liability insurance (£1m, £2m, or £5m limit)
  • Professional indemnity insurance
  • Medical malpractice (in case of injuries to the children)

Be quote confident

We're big on fairness. So if you find a lower price for a comparable quote, we won't just match it – we'll go one better and beat it.

So even better than apples to apples, apples to better apples. We're talking Galas to Braeburns.

As you'd expect, T&Cs apply.

What insurance does a self-employed nanny need?

Public liability insurance

One of the most commonly sought-after covers for sole traders, public liability insurance protects you in the event that you are responsible for injuring (or damaging the property of) a third party, such as a client or member of the public. It can cover the legal and compensation costs if a claim is made against you.

Professional indemnity insurance

In your role as a child care professional, your professional indemnity insurance covers you for any mistakes you make in the course of your duties, such as losing important documents or giving incorrect advice.

Medical malpractice insurance

No, it's not just doctors and nurses that need medical malpractice insurance. This cover is a broad protection against mistakes you might make when caring for a child's wellbeing that result in them becoming injured. This might include administering over-the-counter painkillers and medication or patching up a cut after a fall in the playground.

Cyber insurance

As an optional additional cover, cyber insurance is designed to protect you from a range of cyber risks that can affect sole trader and self-employed individuals in any industry.

From card data breaches to social engineering fraud and GDPR privacy non-compliance to business interruption if your website provider goes down, cyber insurance protects you.

Once you've completed a quote, you'll be able to view a summary of cover. Please always refer to your policy documents for full details around exclusions, terms and limits of your customised cover. Read our guide to understanding your policy documents.

Why choose Superscript?


Personalised cover

Pick the covers you need, leave the ones you don't, with customised limits.


5-star support

Contact our UK-based, in-house customer service and claims teams, if you need to.


Fee-free changes

Make adjustments to your insurance at any point, with no fees to tweak your policy.

Child minders' insurance claims examples

There are various different types of insurance claim that a self-employed nanny may have to make, so here are a few examples of specific claims that would be covered by Superscript’s customisable policy:

Incorrect medication

When caring for a child, you accidentally incorrectly administer their prescription medication, making them ill. Your medical malpractice insurance can cover your legal and compensation costs if a claim is made against you.

Broken vase

While looking after a youngster, you accidentally knock over and break an expensive vase in a client's house. Your public liability insurance can cover the cost of repairing or replacing the broken item.

Lost documents

While doing important administration for a client's child, you misplace a folder and lose their birth certificate and other important documents. Your professional indemnity insurance can cover the costs of replacing the lost items.

How do claims work for professional nannies?


Notify us of the claim

Contact us by email at, by 24/7 freephone on 0800 772 3059 or by logging in to your customer portal.

Ideally this should be done as soon as possible and within 30 days of you becoming aware of anything which you think may be covered by your insurance.

A good indicator of whether or not to let us know is if there's an issue which may require a payment to be made on your behalf.


We'll get on the case

We'll acknowledge your claim within 24 hours, and sometimes in as little as 30 minutes! This means you'll receive email confirmation of your claims reference and contact information should you need to speak to us.

We will then reach out to you within 48 hours to request any extra information we need to progress your claim.

We'll keep you updated on the next steps as the claim progresses.


A decision is made

We'll let you know if your claim is successful or not. If your claim isn't covered, we will always try to point you in the right direction and support you as best we can in getting back to normal.

Read about the most common reasons claims aren't paid.

If your claim is successful, once we have all the documents we need, we will aim to settle claims such as accidental damage, theft and lost equipment within five working days.

Nannies' insurance FAQs

What is nannies' insurance?

Business insurance for nannies and child minders is a combination of different covers, including:

  • Public liability insurance – covers injury or property damage caused to a member of the public or a client
  • Professional indemnity insurance – covers you for mistakes such as losing documents and giving incorrect advice
  • Medical malpractice insurance – covers you for mistakes made while caring for the wellbeing of a child
  • Cyber insurance (optional) – protects you from hacking, social engineering fraud and much more

Together, your policy can protect you from the wide variety of risks associated with professionally caring for children.

How much does nanny insurance cost?

The cost of your policy will depend on a number of factors such as your location, the types of activities you engage in as a child minder and whether or not you wish to include cyber cover. Factors such as your annual turnover and your location can also affect the cost of your insurance premium.

Do nannies and child minders need insurance?

While nannies are not legally required to hold insurance, many agencies and clients will look for insured child minders to care for their children. Also, if a claim were to be made against you, you would need to consider if you could afford the cost of the compensation yourself, without insurance.

Is my nannies' business insurance tax deductible?

In short, yes. Your business insurance premium is labeled by HMRC as an 'allowable expense' and the cost of your premium can be written off against your taxable profit for the year. Be sure to keep records of your expenses for your self-assessment or corporation tax return.

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at