IT contractor insurance

Build flexible, customised cover including professional indemnity, business contents and more.

Bespoke insurance for your   business

per month

What insurance do IT contractors need?

Popular insurance choices for IT contractors include professional indemnity insurance, public liability insurance, business contents insurance and cyber insurance.

  • Pay by the month
  • Change your cover anytime
  • Make changes without fees
  • Instant documents

Set up your policy in less than 10 minutes

Change it or cancel at any time, free of charge.

Business insurance for IT contractors

Professional indemnity insurance

Our professional indemnity insurance is one of the most innovative covers available online. It is ideal for those working in software and IT as it provides advanced, all-round protection for the business and products that you build. It covers for any mistakes arising from your services, including compensation payments if your client suffers financial loss, fines, contract disputes, legal costs, IP and copyright disputes.

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance is a cover to consider if you ever work around other people. If you accidentally injure somebody, or damage their property, you could end up with an expensive claim against you.

Contents and equipment insurance

Our contents and equipment cover can protect your equipment, office furniture, documents and cash. Most of our claims are settled within 48 hours so we will get you up and running again in no time.

Cyber insurance

Protecting customer and user data is non-negotiable, with cyber-attacks on the rise and the GDPR now in force. Even with the latest security solutions in place, sometimes a breach is unavoidable, which is why cyber liability cover is so important. We will cover any compensation you have to pay as well as penalties and legal costs. Our cyber policy also includes breach response services, helping you get to the bottom of things quickly and avoid damage to your reputation.

We've made insuring your business simple. Get started.

IT contractor insurance FAQs

Why do IT contractors need insurance?

  1. The cost of a claim against you could potentially be very expensive.
  2. Clients will often insist upon some level of cover (of professional indemnity insurance in particular).

To expand on the first point: We all face risk when working. From hot coffee on important equipment to disastrous coding mistakes, accidents happen and when they cause damage or loss to someone, a claim may arise.

When you’re an employee, your employer is responsible for arranging business-related insurance. But as a self-employed professional, it’s all on you.

Because the nature of being an IT contractor (as the name suggests) is heavily contract-based, this leaves you particularly vulnerable to contractual risks. For example: If the terms of a contract cannot be met for whatever unintentional reason, this would leave you as the contractor liable for the alleged cost to the client of your contract not being met. If something were to go wrong during the course of your work for the client (e.g. you accidentally breaking a system, causing downtime), again, this could be expensive for the client and leave you liable for picking up the cost.

To expand on the second point: Clients understand the risks faced by a contractor and how expensive a claim could end up being. This means that regardless of the financial risk to you of facing a claim, you may find that being uninsured means you miss out on being considered for contracts altogether.

What does professional indemnity insurance cover?

Professional indemnity insurance covers claims made against you by clients due to alleged contractual failings on your part, causing the client to lose money.

Key examples of the types of claim are:

  • Failure to meet contractual obligations, e.g.
  • Project delivery timelines
  • Project completion


  • Loss of documents or data
  • Breach of confidentiality

Intellectual property infringement (covered by media liability which comes as standard with Superscript’s professional indemnity cover)

To find out more about what professional indemnity insurance covers, check out our guide.

Do IT contractors need public liability insurance?

This depends. If you are working solely from a home office, for example, and never coming into contact with other people while working, then you may feel that public liability isn’t worth having. However, if you’re working among other people at all - whether at a client’s office or even a cafe, it’s definitely a cover to consider.

To find out more about what public liability insurance covers, check out our guide.

What other insurance does an IT contractor need?

Beyond professional indemnity insurance and perhaps public liability insurance, other covers that may be relevant to IT contractors include:

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at