Business insurance for film makers

Flexible, customisable business insurance for film makers. Get covered today from £5 a month.

Film maker insurance quote

per month

What does film makers insurance cover?

Whether you're working on an independent project, contracting or on a commercial shoot, having the right insurance is essential for your business. Expensive equipment, wires and people are a risky mix that could lead to you with having a claim on your hands.

Superscript's cover gives you the freedom to build cover to meet your business's risks on a flexible basis, meaning you can build the cover you need now and adjust it at any time, as and when your needs change.

  • Film makers cover to meet your needs
  • Commitment-free monthly cover
  • No admin fees for making changes
  • Instant cover and documents

Set up your insurance in less than 10 minutes

Change or cancel it at any time, as your business evolves.

What insurance do film makers need?

Public liability insurance

Often a contractual requirement for film makers, public liability insurance offers cover for legal and compensation costs in relation to a claim against you if you accidentally cause injury or property damage to a member of the public while you're working.

Contents and equipment insurance

Another important cover for film makers, contents and equipment insurance protects your specialist video equipment and other kit, including laptops, phones, documents and even cash. Worldwide cover is included, so you'll be covered if you travel abroad for up to 90 days of the year.

Employers' liability insurance

Employers' liability insurance is a legal requirement for UK businesses with any employees, regardless of whether your team is made up of contractors or temporary staff. If you work alone, this isn't one you need.

Professional indemnity insurance

Professional indemnity insurance provides cover for your contracts with clients or other businesses. For example, if a client were to sue you due to being unhappy with your work (even if you feel you fulfilled the terms of your contract), you may benefit from the protection of professional indemnity cover which would cover the associated legal fees and compensation costs.

Media liability insurance

Automatically included with our professional indemnity and cyber covers, media liability is important for film makers as it covers for negligence in media content and advertising, including websites, blogs and social media. Most importantly, it covers claims for IP infringement, breach of confidentiality, right to privacy, and breach of comparative advertising regulations.

Cyber insurance

If you have an online shop or hold any personal data (for example, contact and payment information) you should think about cyber insurance. It protects you from claims arising from cyber and data liability as well as providing a vital support system if you experience a security breach.

We've made insuring your business simple. Get started.

Film makers insurance FAQs

How much does film makers insurance cost?

This will depend on the individual covers and cover limits you select, but our film makers insurance starts at £5.13 a month.

Do freelance film makers need insurance?

Though not a legal requirement, freelance film makers may find that certain contracts or venues require a certain level of cover, generally including public liability insurance and professional indemnity insurance. Many also choose to take out contents and equipment cover.

Do I need public liability insurance as a film maker?

Although not a legal requirement, public liability insurance is a must for film makers. An accident involving you or your equipment and a member of the public resulting in injury or property damage could land you with expensive legal fees and compensation costs.

Why is professional indemnity insurance important?

Professional indemnity insurance is important for any business working contractually with clients or other businesses. For example, you may benefit from the protection of professional indemnity cover if a client were to sue you due to being unhappy with your work, as it would potentially cover the associated legal fees and compensation costs.

Is my video equipment insured abroad?

Our contents and equipment cover will cover you for 90 days' work abroad for one year from your policy start date.

Does your insurance cover my equipment while stored in a vehicle?

Our contents and equipment cover will cover your equipment while stored out of sight in a locked vehicle.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.