Photographer and videographer insurance Photographer and videographer insurance

Whether you work alone or manage a crew, we offer customisable insurance with the flexibility to adjust your cover any time with no extra fees.

Be quote confident. We'll beat the price of any like-for-like quote. T&Cs apply.

Not sure where to start?

Find out what covers businesses like yours choose

Find your cover

Bespoke insurance for your business

per month

What is photographers' insurance?

Award-winning, worldwide insurance built for the needs of modern creative professionals. Our business insurance covers the risks you face while running your projects.

10% of photographers and videographers paid £7.71 a month or less for their Superscript business insurance between January and March 2023.

  • Worldwide cover
  • Hassle-free claims support
  • Pay how you like, monthly or annually
  • Instant access to your documents

What insurance do photographers and videographers need?

Public liability insurance

It's often a contractual requirement for in this line of work, but if you are interacting with the public and clients your top priority should be public liability cover. This ensures that you’re protected in the event of any personal injury or property damage claims made against you.

Photography and video equipment insurance

Another essential cover, contents and equipment cover protects all your specialist photo and video equipment and other kit, including laptops, phones, documents and cash. Most of our claims are settled within 48 hours so we will get you up and running again in no time. It also includes worldwide cover if you temporarily travel abroad.

Professional indemnity insurance

Our professional indemnity insurance is one of the most innovative covers available online. It provides advanced, all-round protection for photographers and covers mistakes arising from your services. It includes compensation payments if your client suffers financial loss, fines, contract disputes, legal costs, IP and copyright disputes.

Media liability insurance

Automatically included within our professional indemnity and cyber insurance, media liability is important for photographers as it covers for negligence in media content and advertising, including websites, blogs and social media. Importantly, it covers claims for IP infringement, breach of confidentiality, right to privacy, and breach of comparative advertising regulations.

Employers' liability insurance

Employers' liability (EL) cover is usually a legal requirement for UK companies with employees, regardless of whether your team is made up of temporary or part-time staff. It gives your team reassurance, while protecting your business.

Once you've completed a quote, you'll be able to view a summary of cover. Please always refer to your policy documents for full details around exclusions, terms and limits of your customised cover. Read our guide to understanding your policy documents.

Be quote confident

We're big on fairness. So if you find a lower price for a comparable quote, we won't just match it – we'll go one better and beat it.

So even better than apples to apples, apples to better apples. We're talking Galas to Braeburns.

As you'd expect, T&Cs apply.

How do claims work?


Notify us of the claim

Contact us by email at, by 24/7 freephone on 0800 772 3059 or by logging in to your customer portal.

Ideally this should be done as soon as possible and within 30 days of you becoming aware of anything which you think may be covered by your insurance.

A good indicator of whether or not to let us know is if there's an issue which may require a payment to be made on your behalf.


We'll get on the case

We'll acknowledge your claim within 24 hours, and sometimes in as little as 30 minutes! This means you'll receive email confirmation of your claims reference and contact information should you need to speak to us.

We will then reach out to you within 48 hours to request any extra information we need to progress your claim.

We'll keep you updated on the next steps as the claim progresses.


A decision is made

We'll let you know if your claim is successful or not. If your claim isn't covered, we will always try to point you in the right direction and support you as best we can in getting back to normal.

Read about the most common reasons claims aren't paid.

If your claim is successful, once we have all the documents we need, we will aim to settle claims such as accidental damage, theft and lost equipment within five working days.

Photographers' insurance FAQs

How much does photography insurance cost?

This will depend on the individual covers and cover limits you select, but our cover for photographers starts at £7.71 a month.

10% of photographers and videographers paid £7.71 a month or less for their Superscript business insurance between January and March 2023.

Do freelance photographers need insurance?

Though not a legal requirement, freelance photographers may find that certain contracts, sets or venues require you to have a certain level of cover, generally including public liability insurance and professional indemnity insurance. Many photographers also choose to take out contents and equipment cover.

Do I need public liability insurance as a photographer?

Public liability insurance is a popular cover for photographers. This is because a lot of photography work involves working with and around members of the public; from clients to models. An accident involving you or your equipment and a member of the public resulting in injury or property damage could land you with expensive legal fees and compensation costs.

Why is professional indemnity insurance important for photographers?

Professional indemnity insurance for any professional working under contracts with clients or other businesses. For example, if a client were to sue you due to being unhappy with your work (even if you feel you fulfilled the terms of your contract), you may benefit from the protection of professional indemnity cover which would cover the associated legal fees and compensation costs.

Is my photography equipment insured abroad?

Our business equipment cover will cover your gear in the UK, as well as temporarily overseas.

Does your insurance cover my photography equipment while stored in a vehicle?

Our contents and equipment cover will cover your equipment while stored out of sight in a locked vehicle.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at