Insurance for your candle business Insurance for your candle business

Customisable and stress-free cover for candle and wax melt business owners. Get protected in just 10 minutes and insurance from £7.95 per month.

Be quote confident. We'll beat the price of any like-for-like quote. T&Cs apply.

Not sure where to start?

Find out what covers businesses like yours choose

Find your cover

Candle insurance quote

per month

Do you need insurance for a candle business?

There's something special about blending scents and pouring wax to create something unique and relaxing, especially if you've built your candle company from the ground up.

Our business insurance for candle and wax melt makers is designed to protect your company's finances and brand reputation if something went wrong.

Superscript offers a wide range of relevant covers that safeguard your business from the risks that could affect it the most. Simply select 'home crafts' when starting your quote.

10% of home crafters, including candle makers, paid £7.95 a month or less for their Superscript business insurance between January and March 2023.

  • Pay by monthly subscription to spread costs
  • Change your cover anytime, free of charge
  • Choose from a range of covers, like public and product liability
  • Build a policy that matches your business' needs

What insurance should candle businesses consider?

Whether you own a candle shop, distribute candles from your home, or regularly sell at craft fairs, it's important to have exactly the right cover. As you go through our quote builder, you'll be able to choose the covers you want, but here are a few that most candle and wax melt businesses find suitable.

Public liability insurance

If you interact with customers, couriers or suppliers face-to-face you might want to consider public liability insurance. It covers claims of accidental injury or property damage as a result of your business from members of the public.

Some suppliers, wholesalers or even customers may require you to have this type of cover in order to do business with you.

Product liability insurance

Product liability is similar to public liability insurance because they both cover claims of accidental injury and property damage. But while public liability covers claims relating to your business activities, product liability covers claims relating to any products you sell, supply or manufacture.

This is especially important with candles as they are considered a hazardous product. Even with a warning label, if a customer blames your product for a house fire, you could still be taken to court, which could end up costing you a lot of money in legal fees.

Employers' liability insurance

If you're an employer in the UK, you are legally required to have employers' liability insurance. As an employer, it's your responsibility to protect the health and safety of your employees. If one of your workers suffered an accidental injury, illness or property damage as a result of working for you, they might want to claim compensation. If this happened, employers' liability would cover the legal fees and compensation costs associated with the claim.

Cyber insurance

If you work with sensitive client information or store personal or financial customer or client details, you might want to consider cyber insurance. It offers financial and specialist support in the event of a data breach.

Business contents and equipment

As a candle business, you'll likely invest a large chunk of money in supplies for your stock as well as tech such as laptops, phones, EPOS systems or printers to run your store smoothly. If these items were lost, stolen or damaged, it not only puts a spanner in the works but can prevent you from getting those all important sales.

Business contents and equipment insurance is made to protect these items, ensuring they're repaired or replaced after an insurable incident, so you can continue selling without a hitch.

Once you've completed a quote, you'll be able to view a summary of cover. Please always refer to your policy documents for full details around exclusions, terms and limits of your customised cover. Read our guide to understanding your policy documents.

Be quote confident

We're big on fairness. So if you find a lower price for a comparable quote, we won't just match it – we'll go one better and beat it.

So even better than apples to apples, apples to better apples. We're talking Galas to Braeburns.

As you'd expect, T&Cs apply.

Do you sell your candles online?

If you sell your candles via the internet and not from a physical shop, then you may need cover that's a little different.

That's why we've put together a new, flexible online retail insurance product to cover the unique risks associated with selling your products online.

Candle company insurance claims

The risks that could result in a claim are different for every business, but here are a few examples of claims where the business could be liable.

A slip and fall

A supplier is delivering heavy boxes of wax to your home or warehouse and they slip on the freshly mopped floor, hurting their arm. Public liability insurance would cover the legal and compensation costs associated with the claim.

A house fire

A customer who you've sold a candle to knocks it over while it's burning, causing a small house fire. While it is not your fault, the customer wants to take you to court. Product liability insurance would also cover this claim.

Injured employee

An employee is packing up orders and accidentally slices their hand with a box cutter. They want to make a claim against you for lack of training. Employers' liability insurance would cover the legal and compensation costs associated with the claim.

A break in

Someone breaks into your locked store during the night, stealing a laptop, company phone, cash and stock. Business contents and equipment insurance would cover the cost to replace these items.

How do claims work?


You make a claim

Log in to your online account and go to the ‘Make a claim’ section. There, you can make a claim directly – there's no need to call us.

We'll ask you for some details about your claim, including a crime reference number (if applicable), the date of loss, type of claim and its detailed description.

You can also attach any relevant supporting documentation like proof of loss or proof of purchase.


We'll get on the case

Once submitted, your claim will be assessed.

If the claim is large, we may need more information from you. Or, if it's small, our team may be able to settle it within a couple of days (or hours, in some cases).

Either way, we'll keep you regularly updated and you'll be able to see the status of your claim on our customer portal.


Your claim is settled

After it's been assessed, we'll let you know if your claim has been successful or not.

If items have been lost, stolen or damaged, we might arrange for the items to be replaced or make a payment to you.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Candle making insurance FAQs

Do I need insurance to sell candles on Etsy?

While it's not a legal requirement, it's recommended that you purchase business insurance to safeguard your online shop just in case something goes wrong. If it did, you wouldn't be protected for a claim and would have to cover the legal and compensation costs out of your own pocket.

Do you have to be insured to sell wax melts?

Unless you have employees, you're not legally required to buy insurance to make and sell wax melts. However, because of the hazardous nature of the product, it's recommended for sellers to buy product liability insurance to protect their business in case the wax melts caused injury or property damage to a customer.

If you have employees, you are also legally required to have employers' liability insurance. And many businesses also choose to buy public liability insurance to protect themselves from claims involving a third party.

When should I buy insurance for my candle business?

It's important to buy business insurance before you start interacting with the public as a business, selling your products or as you hire your first employee. This will ensure you're covered for the risks that could affect your business from the offset.

I make candles at home, do I still need insurance?

If you sell candles or wax melts out of your house, it's important to consider the risks that could still affect your business.

This could include your products causing injury or property damage to customers (which would require product liability insurance or someone breaks into your home and steals the laptop you use for your business as well as your candle-making supplies (which would require business and contents insurance.

How do I buy candle insurance from Superscript?

It's super easy to get cover for your candle company with Superscript. Simply click on 'Start your quote' and follow the steps.

Our candle business customers are classed under 'Home crafts' when selecting the main business activity. Once selected, you'll be offered all the relevant covers needed for your candle business.

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at