Insurance for hairdressers Insurance for hairdressers

Whether you're a salon owner or work as a self-employed mobile hairdresser, we've got you covered.

Buy your cover up to 30 days in advance.

Be quote confident. We'll beat the price of any like-for-like quote. T&Cs apply.

Not sure where to start?

Find out what covers businesses like yours choose

Find your cover

Hairdresser's insurance quote from £5 a month

10% of hairdressers paid £5 a month or less for their Superscript business insurance between January and March 2023.

Why buy hairdressing insurance?

Working closely with clients on a daily basis makes public liability insurance an essential cover for barbers, hairdressers and salons.

A slip on a freshly cleaned floor - or a missing handbag - could result in an expensive claim against your business. Depending on the work you carry out, you may want to consider a number of other covers too. With Superscript, you can:

  • Pick the covers you need, leave the ones you don't
  • Enjoy 5-star customer service and claims support
  • Add or remove covers and adjust your limits, with no extra fees
  • Pay monthly or annually, it’s your choice

Be quote confident

We're big on fairness. So if you find a lower price for a comparable quote, we won't just match it – we'll go one better and beat it.

So even better than apples to apples, apples to better apples. We're talking Galas to Braeburns.

As you'd expect, T&Cs apply.

What does public liability cover?



Cutting and styling hair involves the use of sharp and hot tools and constant contact with clients - a potentially dangerous combination! An accidental trip and slip of a blade could land you with an expensive claim. Public liability covers legal and compensation costs arising from accidental injury caused by your hairdressing activities.


Damage or theft

If a client's property is damaged or stolen at your salon or workplace, you could be liable for the cost of repairing or replacing it - even if it wasn't directly your fault. This is a big risk at busy salons, where clients often leave property out of sight. Public liability covers accidental damage and theft on your premises.



Even if you don't make your own cosmetics, any product you give or sell could leave you liable if someone had, for instance, an allergic reaction. This is especially true if you're selling products manufactured outside the UK or EU. Our public liability cover automatically includes product liability.

Once you've completed a quote, you'll be able to view a summary of cover. Please always refer to your policy documents for full details around exclusions, terms and limits of your customised cover. Read our guide to understanding your policy documents.

What insurance do hairdressers need?

Every business is unique, so while you'll likely start with public liability, you may also like to think about the covers listed below. Our quote journey will guide you through your options, so there's no need to make a decision immediately.

Public liability insurance

The most popular cover for many businesses, public liability insurance offers financial compensation in the event that a client, or any other non-employee, takes legal action against you for injury or property damage caused by your work.

Equipment and stock cover

Salon furniture isn't cheap, and electrical equipment that's being moved around and used day in, day out is likely to get damaged or broken at some point. A no-brainer for any business with specialised equipment, equipment insurance covers the cost to repair or replace accidentally damaged equipment.

Meanwhile, stock cover can protect your business in the event that your stock of hair styling products is damaged of destroyed, for instance by a fire or flood.

Employers' liability insurance

Employers' liability cover is a legal requirement for most businesses in the UK that employ any staff - regardless of whether your team is made up of temporary or part-time staff.

Superscript's employers' liability insurance includes £10 million of cover as standard in the event that an employee is injured at work and makes a claim against the business.

Personal accident cover

This cover will pay compensation of up to £10,000 if you or an employee of your business (under 75 years of age) suffers an accident resulting in loss of sight, hearing, speech or a limb, death or leaving them disabled and permanently unable to work.

Cyber insurance

You may be surprised to see this one on the list, but cyber insurance is relevant to any business that stores personally identifiable information. As a hairdressing business, you'll likely store information about your clients in your database, such as names, email address and even birth dates.

This could make you the target of data theft, or result in someone accidentally breaching GDPR legislation by sending out a company email to people who haven't officially opted in to receive them.

How do claims work?


Notify us of the claim

Contact us by email at, by 24/7 freephone on 0800 772 3059 or by logging in to your customer portal.

Ideally this should be done as soon as possible and within 30 days of you becoming aware of anything which you think may be covered by your insurance.

A good indicator of whether or not to let us know is if there's an issue which may require a payment to be made on your behalf.


We'll get on the case

We'll acknowledge your claim within 24 hours, and sometimes in as little as 30 minutes! This means you'll receive email confirmation of your claims reference and contact information should you need to speak to us.

We will then reach out to you within 48 hours to request any extra information we need to progress your claim.

We'll keep you updated on the next steps as the claim progresses.


A decision is made

We'll let you know if your claim is successful or not. If your claim isn't covered, we will always try to point you in the right direction and support you as best we can in getting back to normal.

Read about the most common reasons claims aren't paid.

If your claim is successful, once we have all the documents we need, we will aim to settle claims such as accidental damage, theft and lost equipment within five working days.

Meet our claims team

This is Laura, a qualified insurance lawyer and our in-house claims manager here at Superscript. Hi, Laura!

If you are making a claim for lost, stolen or damaged equipment, then Laura and her expert team will ask you as little as six quick questions, such as 'when and how was the item damaged?' and 'do you have proof of purchase?'.

Once you've answered the questions, they can then begin to resolve your claim and send your payment for processing that very same day!

If your claim is for legal or compensation costs, then Laura and her team will handle the process for you and keep you updated every step of the way.

Hairdressing insurance FAQs

How much does hairdressing insurance cost?

This depends on the level and types of cover you choose for your business. The price of your insurance premium will also depend on several other factors such as:

  • Your location
  • Your annual turnover
  • Your number of employees (if any)

Do self-employed hairdressers have to get insurance?

While most insurance is optional rather than mandatory, most self-employed professionals opt for public liability at the very least, as an accidental injury to a client could result in devastating costs.

Do hair salons have to get insurance?

Most insurance is optional rather than mandatory. An exception to this is employers' liability cover, which is a legal requirement for most businesses in the UK with employees. Despite this, the majority of businesses that have lots of contact with clients consider public liability an essential, as many would be unable to afford an uninsured claim.

Can you cover mobile hairdressers?

Yes, our public liability insurance can cover mobile hairdressing.

Does your public liability cover hairdressing treatments?

Our insurance covers you for bodily injury to your client arising out of a broad range of hairdressing treatments.

Will my equipment be covered if it's stored in my car, while traveling between jobs?

Yes, if you have contents and equipment cover, your equipment will be covered while in transit.

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at