Business insurance for film makers Business insurance for film makers

Customisable business insurance for filmmakers. Get covered in 10 minutes, so you can focus on focusing your camera.

Be quote confident. We'll beat the price of any like-for-like quote. T&Cs apply.

Not sure where to start?

Find out what covers businesses like yours choose

Find your cover

What does filmmakers insurance cover?

Whether you're working on an independent project, contracting or on a commercial shoot, having the right insurance is essential for your business. Expensive equipment, wires and people are a risky mix that could lead to you with having a claim on your hands.

Superscript's cover gives you the freedom to build cover to meet your business's risks, meaning you can build the cover you need now and adjust it at any time, as and when your needs change.

  • Filmmakers cover to meet your needs
  • Pay monthly or annually, it’s your choice
  • Five-star customer service and claims support
  • No admin fees for making changes
  • Instant cover and policy documents

Be quote confident

We're big on fairness. So if you find a lower price for a comparable quote, we won't just match it – we'll go one better and beat it.

So even better than apples to apples, apples to better apples. We're talking Galas to Braeburns.

As you'd expect, T&Cs apply.

What insurance do filmmakers need?

Public liability insurance

Often a contractual requirement for filmmakers, public liability insurance offers cover for legal and compensation costs in relation to a claim against you if you accidentally cause injury or property damage to a member of the public while you're working.

Contents and equipment insurance

Another important cover for filmmakers, contents and equipment insurance protects your specialist video equipment and other kit, including laptops, phones, documents and even cash. Worldwide cover is included, so you'll be covered if you're in the UK or temporarily elsewhere in the world.

Employers' liability insurance

Employers' liability insurance is a legal requirement for UK businesses with any employees, regardless of whether your team is made up of contractors or temporary staff. If you work alone, this isn't one you need.

Professional indemnity insurance

Professional indemnity insurance provides cover for your contracts with clients or other businesses. For example, if a client were to sue you due to being unhappy with your work (even if you feel you fulfilled the terms of your contract), you may benefit from the protection of professional indemnity cover which would cover the associated legal fees and compensation costs.

Media liability insurance

Automatically included with our professional indemnity and cyber covers, media liability is important for filmmakers as it covers for negligence in media content and advertising, including websites, blogs and social media. Most importantly, it covers claims for IP infringement, breach of confidentiality, right to privacy, and breach of comparative advertising regulations.

Cyber insurance

If you have an online shop or hold any personal data (for example, contact and payment information) you should think about cyber insurance. It protects you from claims arising from cyber and data liability as well as providing a vital support system if you experience a security breach.

Once you've completed a quote, you'll be able to view a summary of cover. Please always refer to your policy documents for full details around exclusions, terms and limits of your customised cover. Read our guide to understanding your policy documents.

Filmmakers insurance FAQs

How much does filmmakers insurance cost?

This will depend on the individual covers and cover limits you select, but our filmmakers insurance starts at £5.00 a month.

Do freelance film makers need insurance?

Though not a legal requirement, freelance filmmakers may find that certain contracts or venues require a certain level of cover, generally including public liability insurance and professional indemnity insurance. Many also choose to take out contents and equipment cover.

Do I need public liability insurance as a filmmaker?

Although not a legal requirement, public liability insurance is a must for filmmakers. An accident involving you or your equipment and a member of the public resulting in injury or property damage could land you with expensive legal fees and compensation costs.

Why is professional indemnity insurance important?

Professional indemnity insurance is important for any business working contractually with clients or other businesses. For example, you may benefit from the protection of professional indemnity cover if a client were to sue you due to being unhappy with your work, as it would potentially cover the associated legal fees and compensation costs.

Is my video equipment insured abroad?

Our business equipment cover will cover you for work in the UK and temporarily elsewhere in the world.

Does your insurance cover my equipment while stored in a vehicle?

Our contents and equipment cover will cover your equipment while stored out of sight in a locked vehicle.

Learn more

Feeling confused? Our insurance 101 guides can help to answer all the questions you have about our covers.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at