Pet sitters' insurance Pet sitters' insurance

Whether it's a one-off job or a full-blown business, get protection for you and the furry friends in your care for accidents, injuries and escapes.

Be quote confident. We'll beat the price of any like-for-like quote. T&Cs apply.

Not sure where to start?

Find out what covers businesses like yours choose

Find your cover

Pet sitter insurance quote from £6.73 a month

10% of pet sitters paid £6.73 a month or less for their Superscript business insurance between January and March 2023.

What does pet sitter insurance cover?

You might not think you need insurance just to watch someone else's pet while they’re at work or on holiday. But with great pet sitting comes great responsibility and if things like scratches, bites, topples and take-offs happen while a pet is in your care, you could be liable for the costs if someone makes a claim against you.

Our pet sitter insurance covers all sorts of animals and can help you out for claims like vets bills after an accident or replacements for a clients’ lost keys.

  • Cover for dogs, cats and many more pets
  • Choose from £1m, £2m, or £5m public liability cover
  • Add employers' liability if you have any staff
  • Enjoy 5-star customer service and claims support
  • Add or remove covers and adjust your limits, with no extra fees
  • Pay monthly or annually, it’s your choice

Be quote confident

We're big on fairness. So if you find a lower price for a comparable quote, we won't just match it – we'll go one better and beat it.

So even better than apples to apples, apples to better apples. We're talking Galas to Braeburns.

As you'd expect, T&Cs apply.

What insurance do I need for a pet sitting business?

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance for pet sitters not only covers you for accidental injury and property damage claims made against you by the public, but also the death, harm to or disease of any animal in the course of your business.

As someone who could interact with the public like neighbours or dog walkers at any time while you're pet sitting and also wants to ensure the safety and protection of the animal you're looking after, this cover can really come in handy.

Employers' liability insurance

If you're running a pet sitting service and have employees helping you out, employers' liability insurance (EL) is a legal requirement for your business in the UK, regardless of whether they're part-time, full-time, temporary or contractors.

If you're a one-person operation at the moment but have big dreams to expand in future, you can easily adjust your cover and add EL to your policy at any time – with no additional fees.

Cyber insurance

Do you store your clients' personal details – like contact info and card details – on your phone or laptop? Then, you may want to add cyber insurance to your policy. This type of cover can help you out in instances of a cyber attack or data breach. This is because if someone gets access to that data and shares it, or you experience financial loss as a result of the breach, you could be liable for the costs.

Personal accident cover

From slips and falls to the unthinkable, if you or someone working for your pet sitting business suffers from an accidental injury – like loss of sight, hearing, speech or limb – while you're pet sitting which means you're no longer able to work, personal accident insurance can pay compensation to cover your earnings until you're able to return.

Business equipment cover

If you host animals at your house and have equipment associated with your pet sitting business, such as beds, cages, food and medicine, you can cover these items for loss, theft or damage with business equipment cover.

Once you've completed a quote, you'll be able to view a summary of cover. Please always refer to your policy documents for full details around exclusions, terms and limits of your customised cover. Read our guide to understanding your policy documents.

Pet sitting insurance FAQs

What animals do you cover?

We cover a range of animals, including dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, reptiles and birds. If an animal that you're going to pet sit isn't on this list, get in touch and we can check if it's covered for you.

Do I need pet sitters insurance?

If you employ people as part of your pet sitting business, you are legally required to have employers' liability insurance in the UK. While not a legal requirement, many pet sitting businesses benefit from covers such as product liability insurance and personal accident insurance to ensure they're protected from the risks associated with pet sitting.

I also offer a pet walking service on top of sitting, do you cover this?

We do! You can add pet walking to your policy when you build a quote with us.

What if an animal escapes while it's in my care?

If the animal was in a secure place with all the relevant security, such as a locked door, a fence or pen, and it still managed to escape, you'd be covered for the costs associated with its retrieval, such as advertising, reward money and potential legal defense fees if the client makes a claim against you.

How much does pet sitters insurance cost?

Your pet sitters insurance quote will be determined by several factors, such your turnover, your location, if you have employees and the covers and limits you want to include in your policy.

How quickly will I receive my Certificate of Insurance for pet sitting?

You'll receive your Certificate of Insurance into your inbox as soon as you buy a policy with us, which can take under 10 minutes. So, whether you're waiting outside the door to start your first pet sitting job or you're getting ready to start soon, you can get covered quickly with us.

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at