Insurance for gardeners Insurance for gardeners

From certified arborists to patio builders to hedge trimmers, weeders, limb cutters and rose planters, our gardening insurance is watertight.

Be quote confident. We'll beat the price of any like-for-like quote. T&Cs apply.

Not sure where to start?

Find out what covers businesses like yours choose

Find your cover

Gardening insurance quote from £5 a month

10% of gardeners paid £5 a month or less for their Superscript business insurance between January and March 2023.

What does gardening insurance cover?

Whether you're a planter, pruner, landscaper or patio layer, if you're outside in the elements, working with clients and equipment, there are a bunch of risks that could affect your business.

At Superscript, we offer liability insurance for gardeners that is specifically tailored to your business, so you'll be protected from the risks that could affect you the most.

  • Choose from £1m, £2m, or £5m public liability cover
  • Add employers' liability if you have any staff
  • Enjoy 5-star customer service and claims support
  • Add or remove covers and adjust your limits, with no extra fees
  • Pay monthly or annually, it’s your choice

Be quote confident

We're big on fairness. So if you find a lower price for a comparable quote, we won't just match it – we'll go one better and beat it.

So even better than apples to apples, apples to better apples. We're talking Galas to Braeburns.

As you'd expect, T&Cs apply.

What insurance does a gardener need?

Public liability insurance

From clients to passers-by, the nature of your job means you're interacting with the public on a regular basis. If you injure someone or damage their property, you could be liable for the legal fees and compensation if they made a claim against you. Gardeners public liability insurance can help to cover those costs, so you don't have to.

Employers' liability insurance

Whether you have an extra pair of hands helping out with a project or a dedicated team, if you hire anyone – regardless of whether they're full-time, part-time or temporary – thenemployers' liability insurance is likely a legal requirement for your business.

It's designed to cover your business from legal and compensation costs if an employee makes a claim against you due to injury.

Professional indemnity insurance

From grass and flowers dying while in your care to errors in a garden's design, if you make a mistake in your work or a client is unhappy with a finished project, they could make a claim against your business. If this happens, professional indemnity insurance is designed to covers the costs associated with the claim, including settlements and rewards.

Personal accident cover

This can pay a lump sum of up to £10,000 if someone working for the business suffers an accident that leaves them disabled and permanently unable to work.

It doesn't cover temporary illnesses and injuries, such as broken limbs and this covers anyone working for the business up to the age of 75.

Portable tools and equipment

As a gardener or landscaper, your tools are vital to your business, but what would you do if they were damaged or stolen? Portable equipment cover protects your tools, repairing or replacing them if needed, so you don't miss out on work.

Once you've completed a quote, you'll be able to view a summary of cover. Please always refer to your policy documents for full details around exclusions, terms and limits of your customised cover. Read our guide to understanding your policy documents.

Real Superscript insurance quotes by real gardeners

These real-life examples are to give you an indication of the sort of the cover options Superscript customers are looking for, and how much they were quoted. These customers' names have been changed.


Toby, a gardener from Shanklin on the Isle of Wight, with an annual turnover of under £50,000.

Quoted £5.04 a month in March 2023:

  • Public liability insurance (£1m limit)


Jahana, a self-employed gardener from West Row, Suffolk, with an annual turnover of under £50,000.

Quoted £12.28 a month in August 2022:

  • Public liability insurance (£2m limit)
  • Portable tools cover (£2,500 limit)


Zach, a gardening business owner from Hainault, North East London, with an annual turnover of under £50,000.

Quoted £28.84 a month in February 2023:

  • Public liability insurance (£1m limit)
  • Employers' liability insurance (£10m limit)
  • Portable tools and equipment cover (£2,500 limit)
  • Commercial legal protection (£100,000 limit)
  • Personal accident cover

Just need to insure your tools and equipment?

At Superscript, we offer special cover for just the tools and equipment of your trade. You won't be tied into taking out any other covers in your policy so you only pay for what you need.

As a tradesman, you can get simple, customisable cover for vital tools and items of business equipment such as:

  • Lawnmowers
  • Strimmers
  • Tillers
  • Cultivators
  • Leaf blowers
  • Soil ph meters
  • Laptops and phones

Read more about our tools-only cover.

Claims examples

Business insurance claims for gardeners are unique to each situation, but here are a few examples of real claims that gardeners have had to make.

The concrete accident

A landscape gardener was completing a landscaping job which involved laying a concrete base near the customer's home. Unfortunately, while they were pouring the base, wet concrete splashed the windows (damaging them beyond repaid) and the customer’s car, causing cosmetic damage.

The gardener’s public liability insurance covered the cost of replacing the windows and repairing the damage to the car.

The palm tree injury

An employee of a gardening business sustained a puncture wound to their arm whilst trimming and removing dead branches from a customer’s palm tree. The employee had to attend hospital to have the thorn removed and received multiple stitches. They were left unable to work for two weeks and had to receive physiotherapy treatment.

The business’ employers’ liability insurance covered the legal anc compensation costs when the employee claimed for loss of income and other damages.

The stolen tools

A self-employed gardener stored a large petrol lawn mower, alongside other electrical tools such as saws and a strimmer, in a locked storage container at their home. While away on holiday, the property was burgled and almost all of the electrical tools and the mower were taken. The thieves were not caught but the gardener provided evidence that the storage container had been forced open.

Their portable tools and equipment insurance covered the cost of replacing the stolen items.

Meet our claims team

This is Laura, a qualified insurance lawyer and our in-house claims manager here at Superscript. Hi, Laura!

If you are making a claim for lost, stolen or damaged equipment, then Laura and her expert team will ask you as little as six quick questions, such as 'when and how was the item damaged?' and 'do you have proof of purchase?'.

Once you've answered the questions, they can then begin to resolve your claim and send your payment for processing that very same day!

If your claim is for legal or compensation costs, then Laura and her team will handle the process for you and keep you updated every step of the way.

How do insurance claims work for gardeners?


Notify us of the claim

Contact us by email at, by 24/7 freephone on 0800 772 3059 or by logging in to your customer portal.

Ideally this should be done as soon as possible and within 30 days of you becoming aware of anything which you think may be covered by your insurance.

A good indicator of whether or not to let us know is if there’s an issue which may require a payment to be made on your behalf.


We'll get on the case

We’ll acknowledge your claim within 24 hours, and sometimes in as little as 30 minutes! This means you’ll receive email confirmation of your claims reference and contact information should you need to speak to us.

We will then reach out to you within 48 hours to request any extra information we need to progress your claim.

We’ll keep you updated on the next steps as the claim progresses.


A decision is made

We’ll let you know if your claim is successful or not. If your claim isn’t covered, we will always try to point you in the right direction and support you as best we can in getting back to normal.

Read about the most common reasons claims aren't paid.

If your claim is successful, once we have all the documents we need, we will aim to settle claims such as accidental damage, theft and lost equipment within five working days.

Gardeners insurance FAQs

What is gardeners insurance?

Gardening insurance is a type of business insurance that caters to gardeners or those with a gardening business.

From nurturing plants at residential properties to landscaping large green spaces for commercial spaces, there are so many different types of gardening businesses. When you start a quote with us, you can build the cover you need to suit the type of work you do, the business you have and the number of people you employ, if any. If your business grows and you need to change your level of cover, you can do so easily at no extra cost.

Do gardeners need insurance?

If you or your gardening business employs anyone (other than immediate family members), then you will likely be legally required to hold employers' liability insurance in the UK. All other covers, while not legally required, can come in handy and save you a hefty amount in legal and compensation fees if a claim is made against you.

Do you offer gardening business insurance for residential and commercial properties?

Yes, our policy covers both residential and commercial properties. In terms of non-residential properties, we can cover locations such as schools, hospitals, office spaces, museums, restaurants and cafes.

Do you offer landscaping insurance?

Yes, we do. When getting a quote, search for ‘landscape gardening’ or ‘landscape consultancy’ and the relevant covers will appear. You can then select the ones that are relevant to you.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at