Self-employed insurance

Flexible business insurance that adapts to your needs.

Self-employed insurance quote

per month

What insurance do self-employed professionals need?

The risks you face day-to-day will vary depending on the nature of your work. Whether you need public liability insurance, professional indemnity insurance, business contents insurance, or even more niche covers like media liability insurance, Superscript can protect you with a customised policy, shaped around you.

The freedom of self-employment can be exhilarating, but with it comes the admin of getting insurance. Our cover offers the flexibility self-employed professionals need. Big project with a client who requires you to have extra public liability cover while you're working together? No problem. Adjust or even cancel your cover, as and when you need. No fees. Our cover is designed for:

  • Self-employed professionals
  • Business owners
  • Sole traders

Get your business insurance in less than 10 minutes

Flexible monthly subscription. No fees to change or cancel your cover.

Features of business insurance for self-employed professionals


Professional indemnity

Clients pay for your knowledge and expertise, but what if you make a mistake? If your advice doesn't work out as expected, you could face a lawsuit, with legal costs and compensation to pay. If that happens, professional indemnity cover (PI) will ensure you're protected. Plus, clients may insist you have it – so it could help you win assignments (or not lose them!)


Public liability

Our public liability insurance for freelancers will protect you if you cause injury or property damage to a third party, either at your home office, coworking space, at a client's office, or when out and about. It's also worth bearing in mind that some of your clients, or even suppliers, might ask you to have PL, so make sure your minimum cover limit meets their requirements as well as your own.


Business contents cover

Whatever kit you rely on, whether that's a laptop, filming equipment or more technical machinery, having it lost, stolen or damaged will leave you high and dry. With our freelance contents insurance and equipment cover, we'll replace your gear and have you back up and running in no time. And unlike with many providers, being based in a coworking space is no problem.


Cyber insurance

If you work remotely and handle a lot of client data then you could be at risk of a cyber attack or data breach. Cyber insurance for freelancers will protect you for a breach of data protection laws (where insurable by law) and your liability for handling data, as well as cover for extortion, system rectification costs, plus PR expenses and financial loss due to system downtime.

We've made insuring your business simple. Get started.

Self-employed insurance FAQs

Do you need insurance if you're self-employed?

Business insurance isn't a legal requirement for anyone - with the exception of employers' liability, which is mandatory for employers. However, may find that certain clients will require you to have specific covers. For example, public liability insurance is often required by clients.

How much does self-employed insurance cost?

This all depends on the types and level of cover you select to protect your business. Our cover starts at £5.13 per month. Our quote journey, which takes less than 10 minutes, will take you through your options to help you determine which covers you need.

Do I need to register as self-employed?

If you’re working as self-employed and have earned more than £1,000 from self-employment between 6 April 2019 and 5 April 2020, you’ll need to register with HMRC as a sole trader.

How do I register as self-employed?

To register as self-employed in the UK, you’ll first need to head to HMRC to register as a sole trader.

Customise your cover

To simplify things, we've categorised our covers into three groups: essential covers, professional covers, and management covers. You'll be guided through these different options during the quotation process.

Essential covers

per month

Essential for all businesses needing protection against bodily injury and lost or damaged property.

Professional covers

per month

Protect against risks associated with the professional services you provide and the way you market your business.

Management cover

per month

Protect your management and shareholders against the operational risks associated with running a company.

Boost your cover from £10.08 per month

Legal protection insurance

Covers compensation awards, professional fees and legal costs associated with a range of legal disputes.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.