Craft insurance Craft insurance

From knitters and sewers to painters and candlestick makers, our flexible cover lets you amend your policy whenever you’d like, at no extra charge.

Be quote confident. We'll beat the price of any like-for-like quote. T&Cs apply.

Not sure where to start?

Find out what covers businesses like yours choose

Find your cover

Crafts insurance quote

per month

Why choose Superscript for crafts insurance?

Whether you're working at home, in your studio, or selling your art online, we've got cover to protect your business. And if what you do changes from time to time, you can update your cover so that you're only ever paying for what you need.

20% of craft businesses paid £7.95 a month or less for their Superscript business insurance between July and September 2022.

  • Craft cover to meet your needs
  • No long-term commitment
  • No fees for cancelling or changing your cover
  • Protect your business from a range of risks
  • Ideal for side-hustle crafters
  • Sell your crafts with confidence

Be quote confident

We're big on fairness. So if you find a lower price for a comparable quote, we won't just match it – we'll go one better and beat it.

So even better than apples to apples, apples to better apples. We're talking Galas to Braeburns.

As you'd expect, T&Cs apply.

What insurance do I need for my crafts business?

Public liability insurance

Public liability for a crafts business will protect you against claims of accidental injury or property damage from members of the public. If you invite clients or customers to your business to pick up their purchases, have suppliers delivering materials or have a physical store that sells your creations, the risk of an accident involving a member of the public is greater. If something did happen, public liability insurance would cover the legal and compensation costs associated with the claim.

Product liability insurance

Product liability for a crafts business will protect you against claims of accidental injury or damage due to your product. With Superscript, it comes included with your public liability insurance (at no extra cost to you).

If you sell things like candles, which are more likely to injure someone than say, a small painting, product liability is particularly useful.

Contents and equipment insurance

Business contents insurance is to cover all the physical equipment you use to run your business, from phones, cameras, laptops or special equipment and tools you use. Our policy will cover the costs for repair or replacement of your essential equipment so that you’re up and running again in no time. Our mobile protection will also cover your insured contents and equipment in the UK and temporarily anywhere in the world.

Employers' liability insurance

Employers' liability (EL) cover is a legal requirement for UK companies that employ staff. With our monthly subscription model it's easy to make changes to your cover as your team grows or your business evolves.

Cyber insurance

If you have an online shop or hold any personal data (for example, contact and payment information via a card payment system) then flexible cyber insurance could be a real benefit to your business. It protects sellers from claims arising from cyber and data liability as well as provides a vital expert support system if you experience a security breach.

Once you've completed a quote, you'll be able to view a summary of cover. Please always refer to your policy documents for full details around exclusions, terms and limits of your customised cover.

Do you only sell your craft products online?

If you exclusively sell the fruits of your craft via the internet and not from a physical shop or stall, then you may need business cover that's a little different.

That's why we've put together a new, flexible ecommerce insurance product to cover the unique risks associated with selling your crafts online.

Crafts insurance claims

Insurance claims in the crafts industry are different for every type of business, but here are a few examples of claims where your business could be liable:

Defective candle

You make scented candles to sell online and a product of yours burns unevenly, setting fire to a customer’s table at home. The product liability element of your crafts insurance covers you for any claim made to replace or repair the customer’s table.

Loose wires

You are displaying your pottery at a crafts fair and loose wiring around your stall causes a member of the public to trip and injure themselves. Public liability cover within your crafts insurance policy ensures you are covered if the injured person decides to claim compensation.

Online store hacked

You sell your artwork via an online store which is targeted by cyber criminals who steal your customers' card payment details. Cyber insurance should cover any compensation due to customers, fines and legal costs, as well as providing industry leading breach-response support.

How do claims work?


You make a claim

Log in to your online account and go to the ‘Make a claim’ section. There, you can make a claim directly – there's no need to call us.

We'll ask you for some details about your claim, including a crime reference number (if applicable), the date of loss or claim made against you, type of claim and its detailed description.

In the portal, you can also attach any relevant supporting documentation like proof of loss, proof of purchase, a letter of demand or a statement of claim.


We'll get on the case

Once submitted, your claim will be assessed by our experts.

If the claim is large, we may need more information from you. If it's small, however, our team may be able to settle it within a couple of days (or hours, in some cases).

Either way, we'll keep you regularly updated and you'll be able to see the status of your claim on our customer portal.


Your claim is settled

After it's been assessed, we'll let you know if your claim has been successful or not.

If items have been lost, stolen or damaged, we might arrange for the items to be replaced or make a payment to you.

If you’re liable for something we will assist you with legal support.

We offer business insurance to cover over 100 different crafts

From painters to sculptors and knitters to printers, we insure a wide range of homecraft businesses to protect them from a variety of risks and exposures.

While most of the covers included in crafts insurance are not required by law, they can be crucial to help protect many small craft businesses from unexpected expenses.

To see if we offer flexible insurance for your particular crafting endeavour, simply click ‘Start your quote’.

Crafts insurance FAQs

Do I need public liability insurance for a craft stall?

Although public liability insurance isn't a legal requirement in the UK, you may find that the organiser of a crafts fair or market will require you to have public liability cover. If you only need it from time-to-time, our monthly subscription model means that you don't need to worry about being bound to an annual contract over months when you don't need cover.

How much public liability cover do I need?

Sometimes this is dictated by the owner of an event, or pop up space, but we offer a choice between £1m, £2m or £5m cover. If you start with one level of cover and your needs later change, you can always update it within your online account.

Do I need product liability cover for my art business?

Like public liability cover, product liability insurance isn't mandatory in the UK. However, many crafts business owners consider it, particularly when selling items which are more likely to face a claim at some point, such as handmade candles.

What covers should I consider if I'm selling crafts online?

In addition to public liability and product liability, you may want to consider cyber insurance and media liability insurance if you're selling online.

Why would I need cyber liability cover for my crafts business?

If you're selling items online, you'll be dealing with some customer data (for example, names, addresses, payment details). Cyber cover will protect you against any data breaches involving the details of over 50 people and with GDPR in force, an accidental breach could land you with a hefty fine.

What is media liability cover?

Media liability cover protects against accidental trademark infringements. An example of how this might happen when selling your arts and crafts online is if you were to accidentally list an item using a trademarked name. Media liability would cover legal and compensation costs.

When should I get crafts insurance?

If you wish to take out insurance for your crafts business, then the policy should begin when you start trading or as soon as possible afterwards. You can set up an insurance policy with Superscript to take effect from a specific date in the future when you expect to begin trading.

Is crafts insurance tax deductible?

Yes, your crafts insurance premium is an ‘allowable expense’ and can be written off against your taxable profit for the year.

You should keep records of all your business expenses in case you are audited by HMRC. In the case of your business insurance, the records that should be retained are your invoices and policy documents.

Do I need to be a registered business to sell crafts?

If you intend to sell products for profit, then for the purposes of tax you will need to register either as self-employed, as a sole trader business, or as a limited company. Which of these company structures you choose is up to you, and you can read our guide to the differences between different structures for more information.

What are the benefits of buying crafts insurance by monthly subscription?

Superscript’s monthly subscription model is different to many more traditional insurance providers who only sell insurance as annual policies. By paying monthly, you can continue to adapt your policy throughout the year to best fit your business needs.

For small homecrafts businesses, paying monthly rather than in one annual lump sum can help with your cash flow as you establish your business.

To find out more, check out our blog post on the benefits of monthly business insurance.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at