Tradesman insurance

Insurance for independent tradespeople and trades businesses.

Build tailored cover, with the flexibility of pay-as-you-go monthly insurance.

Not sure where to start?

Find out what covers businesses like yours choose

Tradesman insurance quote

per month

Features of our tradesman insurance

If you’re self-employed or a business owner, it’s down to you to weigh up your risks and think about what covers you need. Start with public liability insurance and add cover for your employees, tools, and equipment.

*From price will vary based on the location of your business and may be less than £6.85 a month.

  • Public liability insurance limits up to £5 million
  • £10 million employers liability cover as standard
  • Up to £10k cover for portable tools and equipment (max. £1,000 per item)
  • Up to £50k cover for hired in plant

Get tradesman insurance in less than 10 minutes

Flexible monthly subscription. No fees to change or cancel your cover.

What insurance do tradesmen need?

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance is a common cover for businesses that involve contact with members of the public, and is designed to cover any claims made against you for injury or property damage as a direct result of your work.

As an experienced tradesman, you could probably operate many of your tools and maybe even navigate a building site in the dark - no problem. But this certainly isn’t the case for a layman, for whom your tools and work area present a host of dangers!

You may find that some clients demand that you have public liability and trade associations will also often require it as a prerequisite to membership.

Employers liability insurance

Employers liability insurance is a legal requirement for employers in the UK. If you hire any employees at all, including apprentices, part-time, or even temporary workers, you’ll need to make sure you’re covered and that you have an employers liability insurance certificate to prove it. Not having it can result in a fine of up to £2,500 per day for each uninsured day.

Our employers liability cover offers a £10 million limit as standard. It also includes 50 days’ cover for temporary employees, who do not need to be registered with us, each year.

Contract works cover

Sometimes, things don’t go to plan. Contract works cover insures you for things beyond your control, like fire, theft, water damage and wind damage - and accidental mishaps that occur while on a job - and we can offer you limits of up to £500,000.

Tools and equipment insurance

A misplaced spanner is one thing, but damaged, lost or stolen specialist equipment is expensive and can be difficult to replace. And tool theft is no joke - it’s one of the biggest concerns for tradesmen in the UK.

Our cover includes: up to £10,000 cover for portable tools and equipment (maximum value of £1,000 per item); up to £25,000 cover for construction plant and machinery owned by you; and up to £50,000 cover for hired in plant. Just be sure to keep everything in a securely locked building or compound when not in use. We can also offer additional cover for tools stored in vehicles overnight.

Stock cover

It’s not all about the tools! You can’t get a job done without the right materials either. Our business stock covers materials such as wood, paint and tiles, up to £5,000. It’s important that your stock is securely stored at your business premises, or in securely locked conditions elsewhere - even when in transit.

Personal accident cover

Unfortunately, the physicality demanded by manual labour means that if you get injured, you may find yourself unable to work in the same capacity for some time - perhaps even permanently. Our personal accident cover pays a cash benefit of up to £5,000 if this happens.

We've made insuring your business simple. Get started.

Tradesman insurance FAQs

What trades do you cover?

We can cover a wide range of trades. If you can’t see your trade as an option when you get a quote, please don’t hesitate to contact our customer success team via chat, email or phone - we may be able to offer you cover!

Will I be covered to work abroad?

Our cover gives you the freedom to work temporarily (up to 180 days) anywhere within the European Union, knowing you’re covered as per usual.

Do you cover tools stored in a vehicle overnight?

Our standard cover does not include this. It specifically excludes theft of tools and equipment from any vehicle left unattended between the hours of 9pm and 6am. However, we do offer the option to insure your tools stored securely in your van overnight, if the vehicle is parked in a locked compound, at an additional cost.

Do I need to tell you each time I get a new employee?

If you have employers liability insurance with us, you will need to let us know each time you get a new permanent employee. For temporary workers, however, we’ll automatically cover you for up to 50 days in any one period of insurance.

What will affect the cost of my insurance?

The cost of your cover will vary depending on the work you carry out. Jobs that could more easily cause harm to the public, or tools of high value, present more risk and a bigger payout in the event of a claim. This typically means the cost of your insurance will be higher than it would be to cover a lower work, or less valuable equipment.

What excess would I need to pay?

This will vary depending on the nature of your claim. For example, the excess on a public liability claim, or a tools claim, would be £250, while the excess on a hired-in plant claim would be £500. This is because plant tend to be more expensive to replace.

The only cover that is a legal requirement is employers liability insurance, for businesses with employees. However, you may want to consider insurance for other reasons, such as: your trade association may require it; your clients may require it; you may decide that the risk of a claim against you - or tools theft - is too high a price to pay, not to insure.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.